What's new

Doesn't anyone *LIKE* a movie anymore? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My average rating for films I've seen so far is 3 out of 4 stars. That's pretty damn good, in my opinion. (Of course this is skewed since I only see movies I think I'm going to like, which means I hit stinkers far less often)
As Seth mentioned... it's not the same people who bitch about every movie. Some people like some movies, but hate other movies. Some people hate other movies but like some movies. And you hear both groups bitch about the ones they don't like;) ;)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The only things that irks me personnally in a film discussion, moreso than "this sucks, that rules" posts, is when one or two posters essentially post after every other opinion, either disagreeing or agreeing. It makes reading the discussion VERY boring, and means that any interesting or worthwhile posts are burried in a sea of superflous bandwidth wastage. Other than that, I find much of the Movies discussion here at the HTF very readable.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
David,

Very astute observation. I have noticed the same thing, and it seems to be on the increase. I think that just comes with the HTF's growth; the more people we have, the higher the number of dinks who are less interested in films than they are in arguing about films. You have the disadvantage of being a pretty long-tenured member, which means that you remember the Golden Age.

The things you've noticed are the reasons I hit the Movies and Software area only after I've browsed Music and After Hours.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's a worthwhile topic! I love Movies! I spend most of my HTF time here, some in Software, and I visit Polls, After Hours, and Video Game Software frequently as well. But most of it is here for one simple reason: I love Movies. Seth brought up some nice tell-tales on people to ignore. For the most part, the HTF almost demands a certain level of civility from it's posters, much less the hard-working moderators. That's why I love it.
Has being here on a daily basis for nearly a year (actually, it's been exactly a year...that's wonderful, Happy Anniversary to me!!!), I have enjoyed some movies more and some movies less. But I have seen films I never would have seen before. I can appreciate certain elements of filmmaking more. Quite simply, I have grown in my love of cinema. Most of the people I look for here love movies. But when they don't... ;) watch out!!
Take care,
Chuck

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
And here I thought this was going to be about if anyone merely liked a movie rather than thought it was the greatest or worst thing ever. (People tend to be given to vast overstatements on the merits of a film.)

It can be tough to strike a delicate balance when pointing out negatives about a film. I've recommended some movies and looked at the review and seen how harsh I've been at pointing out holes, etc. It's why reviewing bad films is often easier than reviewing good films. I'd say most people don't have a problem delineating what they hated about a movie, but getting specifics as to what they liked is a tougher proposition (and I mean something substantive, not "it was cool" or "it rocked").

I'm more likely to post in movie threads where I liked the film or I feel it needs support. I tend not to post concerning films I think are awful because it usually isn't worth the time and effort. (For instance, I cannot conceive of what anyone finds good or entertaining about Halloween: Resurrection, but there are people who posted in that thread who loved it. I'm not going to convince anyone, and I don't feel like wasting my proverbial breath when there's no arguing with someone who simply likes to see Michael Myers kill people.)

Spielberg, Lucas, and big movies like LOTR and Harry Potter are going to be susceptible to backlash, especially because there's a perceived "coolness" in taking the unpopular stance of disliking something many people do. There's not going to be backlash against stuff like The Piano Teacher because few will know about it and fewer will see it. (Not all who see it are going to like it, but chances are any criticisms are going to go beyond basic sucks/rules categorizations.)

Doesn't anyone like a movie anymore? I'll bet that each film mentioned on here this year has at least one person who likes it.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I have to agree that you don't see many "yeah I didn't like x or y, but overall it was a fun film" type of posts. They're out there, but I think I tend to notice the obviously biased posts more, such as the blatant director bashing type. I can't hardly read a post claiming Spielburg is an idiot and not get annoyed. Whether or not you like his style or how he chooses to tack mega happy endings on to his films, he remains one of the most talented filmakers today. Point being, I understand why this thread is here, because quite often I find myself frustrated with some of the elitist comments that are obviously only there to portray this level of sophistication beyond the common slob. And I think everyone would be lying if they didn't admit to having fun watching at least one dumb movie.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
An interesting, and thought-provoking thread. Being very new to following discussions on this forum, it may well be that others have seen behavior that I have not observed. However, my limited observation would be that most forum participants are those who love, not like movies.

Very few would spend the amount of time and money on movies and movie reproduction otherwise. I also, for the most part have found most posters to have well-considered thoughts, judgments, arguments and criticism. And wit. In a very short time, I have come to have a great deal of respect for the knowledge and insights which members of this forum post on a regular basis. I’d name names, but I know that I’d miss a few, so I’ll just send my thanks to those who have shared their opinions and given me reasons to see movies that I would otherwise have missed. To cite only one example, one of my very next “must-sees” is Grave of the Fireflies, an anime, which is a form I usually dismiss with little thought. This was occasioned by discussion in a tourney about depressing films. If it turns out that I don’t care for this film, I don’t’ really think that I’ll fire off a post commenting on the lack of intellect of those who liked the film. I might choose to discuss some merits and demerits of the film, but this is a far different thing.

Back to the main question: “I love movies”. This does not mean that I suspend all of my critical thought process, even for those movies that I love, much less those that I like. Some movies I love more than their artistic merit warrants, so I’m not particularly put out when others disagree with my views. Nor should they be with mine.

Of course there are disagreements about the merits of certain movies, directors, actors, writers and music. Were there not and were every post basically a ‘me-too’ on how much everyone likes a movie and what part they like best, I’d spend my time watching more movies or going to see more baseball (if only the Rangers were a little better). Naturally I prefer it when others agree with my viewpoint, and I do like to read about why and what people like about movies. I just prefer a full spectrum of discussion.

Finally, I think that where some of the posting gets a bit out of hand, the forum moderators act responsibly, and after due consideration. Again, I’d name names, but I’d probably miss someone. And many of the long-term members of this forum also act responsibly in helping to keep down unhelpful comments.

As for me, while I enjoyed Harry Potter and had wished to have the right age child, niece or nephew to take, so I would not have stood out quite so much in the audience, I would not even think of joining in on a discussion thread, official or otherwise.

On the other hand, if it were nominated for some “best” of something tourney, I’d consider it fair game.

I know that this was pretty long, but I really wished to emphasize how much I’ve enjoyed this forum, the conduct of its participants and how much I’ve learned from them.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What hasn't been mentioned yet is the phenomenon of hating a film that you have never seen, many times on the forum I've noticed a member will say how much he hates a film, say AOTC or LOTR and will never get it on dvd, and than on a different thread you find that he hasn't actually seen the film and has no plan in ever seeing it, ho hum.

Another thing that breeds hatred in some is a film's success, suddenly seeing all the adulation heaped onto a new film will put some grumpy members completely off it, I don't understand this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And here I thought this was going to be about if anyone merely liked a movie rather than thought it was the greatest or worst thing ever. (People tend to be given to vast overstatements on the merits of a film.)
Many people don't bother to post unless the movie in question has had an impact on them in an extremely positive or negative way.:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mike Broadman's rules for debating films:

1. If your opponent likes a film you dislike, that person is merely following the hype and is being brainwashed by the Evil Hollywood Marketing Machine and obviously can't think on his own and lacks the intellect to truly understand film.

2. If your opponent dislikes a film you like, then:
a. if the film is popular, he is being pretentious and trying to be "cool" by participating against backlash.
b. if the film is unpopular, foreign, anime, or directed by David Lynch, that person is just to stupid to "get it."

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hating a movie never made much sense to me either. Most movie I don't like failed to stir me in any significant way. They left me cold, possibly bored. They didn't do it for me. In order for me to actually hate a movie, it would have to have done something to me I guess. It would have to be personal in a way. Most movies are simply not that important.
The only movie I can think of that I hate is The SHining. Kubrick totally butchered one of my favorite books. That is personal, I am unable to be objective about this movie (I watched it again wihtout success).
Had LOTR not lived up to my expectations, I suspect I would have some pretty strong feelings toward it.
--
Holadem

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I seldom read any thread that exceeds a couple pages, I just have short attention span (I mean, I LIKE Tomb Raider;) ). Regarding the whole being "civil" issue, wasn't it not all that long ago, Ron posted a warning/plead to members to "cool" it? As the admins were on the average kicking one or two people off the board per DAY.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The most serious problem I have with some of the discussions that take place--usually during the summer months when high school-age members post a lot and very aggressively--is with the attitude: "[Film--usually a classic] is terrible! I hated it, therefore it's a bad movie!"

In the process, the person posting betrays his (almost always his, not her) lack of understanding about films and filmmaking.

With regard to an established classic--be it Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001--it is far better to say something to the effect, "While I recognize it is a great film, I am not fond of it for the following reasons ..."

Quite frankly, summers are not the best times for really good film discussions that remain troll-free. This has been my experience here for the past three-plus years.

I am not a fan of Robert Altman's films, but I fully realize he has done some truly great work. It's possible to acknowledge a film's (or filmmaker's) greatness without being personally fond of it (or him/her).

Finally, there's no reason to be intimidated by posting in "Movies." Just be willing to support your opinions, is all.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I would just like to state, for the record, that if I didn't like movies then I wouldn't be on this forum to begin with.
Long live the Home Theater Forum!
By the way, 2001: A Space Odyssey is terrible! I hated it, therefore it's a bad movie! Starship Troopers was way better, it had giant bugs in it. 2001 didn't have giant bugs (or even tiny bugs), so it stunk. No explosions either, that made it suck. Plus it's old and the monkeys were stupid, why'd they put them in a space movie? This isn't Star Track.
Just kidding...

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
If you suspect someone of just 'bashing' a director's later work because it's the 'cool' thing to do, simply remember that name and choose to ignore their opinions in the future.
And this is where the HTF's "IGNORE" software feature comes in handy. Just put this person in "IGNORE" and you won't have to read their bashing comments ever again. ;)
~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks