Does your town still have a great cinema?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Josh Lowe, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I finally caught my first film at the Fox Theatre last night (The Two Towers) and I can't get over what an improvement in the overall experience having a beautiful and old-fashioned style theater is. The auditorium itself is very large, probably seating close to 1,000 people. They have ushers and all the sorts of things that have come to pass in the multiplexes. And the building itself is ornate and beautiful inside..

The best part was the film itself. I don't know if i went to two bad multiplexes in a row for my previous viewings or what, because the image quality and quality of the print they used was the best so far. I got a lot more enjoyment out of the film.

Also, the crowd itself added a lot to the film. Several scenes earned big cheers and applause that culminated with a roaring ovation once the credits rolled. A nice change from the typical moviegoing experience.

Spirited Away and Lawrence of Arabia are playing Sunday at the Fox, btw..

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

We've got a few big multiplexes, but we've also got a real treasure in The County Theater. It's a great little art house theater (two screens). It's been completely restored, and remians a non-profit theater.

I happily write them a check for my membership every year. http://www.countytheater.com

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Boston's got The Coolidge Corner Theater, which will be really nice once all the restoration is done (and made it onto a list of USA Today's top 10 movie houses in the country last year regardless); I myself personally lean more toward The Brattle Theater, which isn't quite as spiffy but makes up for it with great film programs.

And I would really, really like to see someone do something with the Somerville Theater - the main auditorium must seat over a thousand, including the balcony, and could be a primo experience with some clean-up, except that it's a second-run place.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In Dallas we have three ‘art houses’, two of which are small, newish multiplexes and very nice One, The Angelica has a small restaurant/bar in the foyer and the other, The Magnolia has a separate bar where you can carry a beer or G&T into the theatre.. The third theatre, The Inwood is an older theatre with the upstairs converted to allow for two additional screens. The staff at these theatres are generally film enthusiasts and the audiences are mostly quiet and attend the screenings to see the films, rather than as a part of a social event.

I’d say we are pretty lucky.

5. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Jason, don't forget The Wang Center. Like the Fox in Atlanta, it's not a dedicated movie theater, but probably the most impressive place to see movies in Boston.

6. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

No. All we have are a whole bunch of multiplexes.[​IMG]

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've actually never been there - there always seems to be something I need to see at the Brattle on the Monday nights when the Wang Center shows movies. I've heard nothing but good things, though.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

We have the Cinestudio, a beautiful room with a balcony and all. It's on a campus. I saw LOA there.

--
    Holadem

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I miss "The Columbia" that was right down the street from the Fox theater in Atlanta. It's been over 15 years since it closed, but to see films in 70mm glory was something special.

I remember seeing "The Living Daylights" "Aliens" and "The Karate Kid 2" there.

10. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    That is my dream, and has been for years... to renovate a theater to play old releases, as well as the occasional new run movie. Good sound, great seats, excellent video quality (with an actual projectionist) and an eatery as well.

But where I live currently, it would not be economically feasible, there just wouldn't be the patronige for it.

11. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

We have the Kentucky Theater which is now showing Cowboy Bebop, North By Northwest, and The Dancer Upstairs.

Todd B

12. Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul Agent

Justin, I too dream of doing that.

Where I live, there was a superb 'old fashioned' 2-screen cinema which was forced to close, no doubt because of the competion from large muliplexes. The last film I ever saw there was 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'. When I was a child, watching films such as 'Ghostbusters', the saturday afternoon crowd (mostly children) would scream and holler when the certification screen came up before the film. No doubt this would annoy me now, but back then it was part of the ceremony. The cinema is still there, tears rolling from it's top window.

13. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    We have one - check this out:

http://www.theoakstheater.com/

It's 65 years old, a one-screener, and shows a combination of art films and some mainstream films. I've seen such greats recently as Spirited Away, Bowling for Columbine, and Tully that I would not have seen otherwise. I'm looking forward to seeing Animal House, The Terminator, Donnie Darko, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and Enter the Dragon on the big screen for the first time ever this summer! Not to mention the They Might Be Giants movie and The Guys.

14. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    believe it or not the old fox theater built in the early twenties or earlier was restored recently. (a church now occupies the block where it once was and the auditorium is I believe the sanctuary, though don't hold me to that I've never been in). when they finished the restoration, they celebrated by screening Buster Keaton's The General. unfortunately there I was utterly unaware of this monumental event until the article in the paper the day before. I of course had to work the next night, had I had forewarning I'd have gotten the night off easily.

I wish we had an arthouse theater, all we have now is a 14screen multiplex, which otoh is very nice, an above average multiplex imo.

Adam

15. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    In Denver we used to have the Cooper, which was the last Cinerama between L.A. and possibly as far away as NY. I grew up seeing films like Fiddler on the Roof and the first Star Wars Trilogy there. The last film I saw there was Ben-Hur and then it was torn down to build a Barnes & Noble. Now there's a business there just aren't enough of. [​IMG]

16. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

17. Zenas

Zenas Agent

As far as I know, the only theaters in my neighbourhood (a city near Toronto, Canada) are your usual multiplex style setups... [​IMG] Having read the experiences most of you have had with these nice theaters makes me wish we had one here. I'm getting kinda tired with the somewhat sub-par experiences I have in multiplex theatres nowadays, not to mention the ridiculous prices for what we get. Just gonna keep hoping...

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Since moving to the Bay Area a few years ago, I've discovered a bunch of theaters locally that are "special", notably, The Castro theater, The Coronet, and, most recently, "The Grand Lake" in Oakland...what a fantastic theater, beautifully ornate inside, and a huge Wurlitzer pipe organ plays before certain evening shows...the main auditorium is huge, and was obviously restored not too long ago. Saw "The Two Towers" in there a few months ago and it was pretty amazing.

Check it out here!

-Dennis

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Zenas, those theathers are great to watch an old movie or an independent movie in once in a while. I certainly wouldn't want all theaters to look like those. They do not have stadium style sitting, seats are often small and uncomfortable... they are not perfect, despite what the "old is gold, new is crap" crowd would have you believe.

At the end of the day, where do I want to watch the Matrix:Revolutions? In the biggest room of the biggest multiplex with thunderous bass, where my sight isn't gonna be blocked by some head, where I can recline my big soft and comfy seat (with cupholder, removable armrest and all) [​IMG].

--
    Holadem

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I may be alone in this, but in many ways, a well-run, super-well maintained multiplex is my preferred viewing place.. we have an AMC30 local (DLP, the whole 9) that is meticulous in how clean the place is, it makes it enjoyable to go.

We have one true, old style theater in town, but the upkeep (cleanliness) is not so good. So, I seldom go.

I think we're boiling down to the point, where, due to expense of affording the best equipment for the better presentation ability, smaller locations (single/double screen) venues are dissappearing.

I still get to the drive through every blue moon though, as an old-fashioned treat [​IMG]