What's new

Does your spouse/SO call you at work a lot? (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Ahh, reminds me of the love/hate thing Sam and Diane had on Cheers:
Diane "I hate you."
Sam "Are you as turned on as I am?"
Diane "More."

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
My wife and I work in the same building(different departments) and we don't talk 5-6 times per day. Seems like a lot, but if there are no restrictions and the work is getting done, no biggie.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Can you cut your SO off on the phone without raising their ire?
Depends on how I do it. My wife has a habit of finishing the conversation and then just sitting there on the phone, not saying anything. So I'll say, "Ok, bye" and she'll get mad because she wasn't ready to hang up. It's incredibly frustrating.

However, if I say, "I have to go", she says, "OK bye!" or "OK call me later bye!" and hangs up right away. She knows I'm at work and doesn't want to cause me any problems, which is great.

A guy I used to work with received in excess of 10 calls per day from his wife. It was a running joke around the office, every time his cellular phone rang, someone would yell, "(name), your wife's calling!" And 9 out of 10 times it would be her. He stopped answering the phone and she would then call his work phone, and when he didn't answer that she'd call the receptionist and have her track him down. It got to be VERY annoying - even moreso for him. When I left, she was still doing it to the poor guy. He'd answer the phone and yell at her but sure as hell 20 minutes later she'd be calling again.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I think as long as the employee gets his/her work done and no one else has a problem with it, then its ok no matter the frequency. However, this only holds true if the employee has a direct line. If the caller has to go through a secretary or receptionist then I think its a bit too much. The receptionist has better things to do that ansewr 5-6 personal calls for each employee.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
However, this only holds true if the employee has a direct line. If the caller has to go through a secretary or receptionist then I think its a bit too much. The receptionist has better things to do that ansewr 5-6 personal calls for each employee.
The company I used to work for actually re-routed the "direct line" to the receptionist so she could keep tabs on how many personal calls each employee was receiving. It was thought by management that employees were spending far too much time on personal calls and that the availability of the "direct" line was just encouraging excessive personal calls.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to interrupt this thread again, but, Pat, that was your funniest line all week long! I did laugh out loud. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I do think when it becomes a running joke in the office that your SO is calling too much.

"Jack, I'll be appearing here all weekend long, thank you!"

AllanN

Supporting Actor
My EX girlfriend used to call about 2-3 times a week. Usually to make plans or just to chit chat every once in a while. I work a network helpdesk and unless there was a major upgrade work is pretty laid back. Uusally ill IM my GF or my friends. But if a call comes in I take care of it and ignore my IM's. My friends and girlfriend are cool with that. Although one of my friends will send me nonsense obscene messages if he knows im not at my desk. I run a AIM clone on a NetBSD box so there are no screen popups so I really dont care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks