What's new

Does your spouse/SO call you at work a lot? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The wife usually calls once when she gets home to see what time I'm comming home so she can start making dinner. When she works or is in class later than me, we don't even talk to each other till both of us are home.

5-6 times is a lot if you ask me.

KyleS

Screenwriter
We have people here at work that receives calls constantly, on the company cell phones nonetheless. They have even been asked repeatedly NOT TO CALL by their spouse and it doesnt work. For 2 people at my work it is getting to the point where their jobs may be in jeopardy since they are using company money to talk to their spouse so much. My wife only calls me at work every once in awhile if she needs me to pick something up on my way home or to remind me to do something at lunch but not just to call me because she is bored (or whatever reason these SO call for). Heck one of the guys at work has told her that he cant talk to her anymore because he was in a meeting and that he would call her back later, he hung up, and she proceeded to call right back. He then just let the voicemail pick up the call. As soon as that happened she called right back, she repeated this until he picked up. We finally had to tell him to turn his phone off and tell the receptionist that he wasnt available to talk even if it was an emergency (since everything was an emergency to his SO) :angry:
KyleS

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
2 or 3 times is a lot.

Unless something is going on I generally don't hear from her. The only exception is if I am working 2pm to midnight. Then I will get 1 call just for BS chat because we don't see each other awake for 4 days. Anyone who gets 5 or 6 calls is either newlywed or whipped.

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, think about this...

Don't you find it odd that employers will let employees take two 15 minute smoke breaks per day (for example) to get their nicotine fix? What about the other addicts? How come the alcoholics don't get a break to go down a couple beers?

FINAL STATEMENT DELETED BY WANDERING ADMIN. CAREFUL.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I've never let a SO call me at work, unless it's an emergency. I need my space. :)
My co-worker is driving me nuts. Her husband calls her constantly, and they often get into shouting matches with her hanging up on him. It's really annoying.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
KEVIN'S QUOTE EDITED FOR SAKE OF HARMONY. You understand, of course. ...
Kevin, you're begging for a closed thread, aren't you? :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Please, no more discussion on political parties in this thread. This thread is more about the different levels of SO's interrupting the flow of work in the workplace, and what people find acceptable. Let's keep it in that direction. And please, no more discussion on smoke breaks, start up another thread if you want to talk about that issue. Further postings on either thread digressions will be summarily excised.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I talk to my wife at least once a day but no more than 2 times. I usually get the morning call after my wife feeds my 17 month old son. Sometimes I get a call in the afternoon after she puts him down for his nap. She stays home all day with my son and needs some adult conversation. I have no problem with that. It's usually only about 5 minutes each time.

The other day she called me when my son finally said "Hi". You can't put a price tag on that. Let anyone fire me for talking on the phone when these once in a life time things occur. Although my boss doesn't care because I always meet my deadlines.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i used to have a pretty big hang-up about this. i didn't like any personal calls at work. not from friends or anyone. not sure why...it felt like i was being interrupted or something.
my current girlfriend just wore me down. she kind of knew how i felt but called me anyway. i suspect to irritate me (in a good way) more than anything else. i actually ended up not minding getting her calls, im's or emails.
now...she works in the same building i do. i can't get away now... :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I think 20 - 30 calls a week is pretty high. A dozen maybe more realisitc, especially if there is a lot going on that just cant be done after work hours. If my fiance didnt call me a few times a day at work right now (we are moving into our first house tomorrow) we would take 3-5 days to make any decision.
"Honey, I called the phone companies today but since I couldnt call you at work I'll have to call to setup the hookup tomorrow. Which company do you want to go with?"
"I dont know, ask company X if they have this package of features, etc. and tell me tomorrow night since you cant call me at work, then on the third day, we might be able to arrange hookup if we dont have any scheduling issues with the times they have available. If not, I guess we'll shoot for day 4 on makeing the decision."
Seems rediculous to me. And this attitude (coming mostly from men I see) that what your doing at work must be so much more important that what your SO is doing that they should not consider bothering you is a little disheartening. You must live very fulfilling lives
:frowning: . I personally give enough to my employer that they cannot (and dont) reasonably expect for me to not take some time during the day for personal stuff. This week alone I have taken two long lunches (first and second walkthrough of the house) and am off tomorrow. My employer understands even though he knows that due to being busy with other parts of the move, I cant make up the time the other days this week. Why would he let me do this? Because I'm salaried, get no comp time or overtime, and normally work enough hours to reduce my average hourly wage to roughly what I was making as an intern before I graduated from college. Americans on the whole are overworked. I know this is hard to believe when you may think about some of your co-workers, friends, etc. but the statistics are there. Many countries have a 36-40hr mandatory maximimum work week (ie no free overtime) and the people make just as much as we do. If my company expects me to continue to help them make money hand over fist, then I expect some perks, including phone calls at work (because I love my fiance and dont find her an annoyance as it seems some would) short breaks to be on the net (hey look at my post time :b) because I dont go out for a cigarette every 30 minutes, and time to call companies that I do business with while they are open during the weekday only since my employer keeps me until after they close each day. Seems reasonable to me.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Basically, if the employee isn't hindered in his ability to do his job, there's no issue. If it interferes with his productivity, and makes others have to take up his slack, then it's a problem.
Exactly. If it doesn't affect my productivity, who cares? I submit that it appears to affecting other people's productivity, simply because they spend time being envious of such relationships.

I suppose everyone is free to their opinion, but using the phrase "whipped" is a bit extreme. I'm sure if I threw the phrase "self-centered, self-important, commitment-phobic, envious singles (or single wanna-bes) in bad relationships" around, it surely wouldn't be appropriate.

Todd

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can you cut your SO off on the phone without raising their ire? It seems some of my co-workers are reluctant to do this to their SO while at work. When some of my co-workers are being called by their SO on the phone, and when I need their attention, they will stay on the phone yakking with their SO, that's affecting my productivity. How do I know who they are talking to on the phone? They end their phone conversations with "Love you too, babe." :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Can you cut your SO off on the phone without raising their ire?
yep...do it all the time. if i'm chatting with her and someone comes up to my desk, or my phone rings, or anything work related comes up...i say "i gotta go..." and hang-up and attend to business.

she's totally cool with that...

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Sure, I can and do cut her off sometimes (not a lot of actual work right now, so don't really need to now).

I absolutely agree that it shouldn't affect productivity. And, overbearing spouses are a SERIOUS drag. I'm not troubled with either one of these issues.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Can you cut your SO off on the phone without raising their ire?
All the time. She knows I'm at work & can't drop everything to talk to her all the time. She knows the way my job is stuff pops up & demands immediate attention. She knows I'll get back in touch (either email or on the phone) when I can if it's needed.

And that goes for me calling her (which is /very/ infrequent as she works in a call centre).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
My wife and I also do it to each other (cut each other off in conversation, you filthy minded one you :D ).
We're both aware of having to put our work first while on the job and secondary com is just that; secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks