What's new

Does your spouse/SO call you at work a lot? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I work with 3 married guys, and I've noticed that their spouses call them at work a lot, like 5-6 times a day. Is this normal?

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I travel for work, so I am only home on weekends. My SO calls me usually at night, but probably a couple times a week she will call during business hours.

Before I went on the road, we would never call eachother during the day (she works also).

I think 5-6 calls a day, especially for people who see eachother every day, is excessive!

Jeff

Danny R

Supporting Actor
My wife might call me once a day on average. Of course right now she's sitting on the floor in my office eating a croissant. ;)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
5-6 times a day is a bit much in my opinion. My wife and I talk to each other maybe 2 or 3 times a week (not day) while we are at work.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
5-6 times a day is way too much. Personally I think once a day is too much. 2-3 times a week, as Mark said, is more realistic. I'm surprised your workplace tolerates so many personal calls.

Sounds like trust issues if the wife feels she needs to check on her hubby on an hourly basis.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
5-6 times a day is way too much...I'm surprised your workplace tolerates so many personal calls.
Why? No worse than a smoker taking several breaks throughout the day.
My wife calls a few times a day, but it's usually for help (i.e. how do I fix this in Access), venting (i.e. X is pissing me off), to say goodnight to my daughter (I work late), and sometimes just to speak to an adult (she's a stay-at-home mom). What's the BFD?

I find it funny that this is a problem, given that many are surfing the web, and POSTING ON THIS FORUM, during their supposed work time.

Todd

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
I've always felt uncomfortable taking alot of personal calls at work.
I sit in front of a computer all day and if my wife needs to contact me, she can simply email me.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
My wife calls a few times a day, unless she's too busy. I like it a lot, even though it's mostly stuff like "I need the receipts for the checkbook" or "Did you call the vet?". I don't think 5-6 times a day (I assume these are just smaller,

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My wife and I routinely talked to each other on the phone that often during the work day. Now we email.

Sounds like trust issues if the wife feels she needs to check on her hubby on an hourly basis.
Married people talk to each other for all sorts of reasons other than "checking on" each other. Some of us just enjoy hearing our spouse's voice. (And yes, that works with email too; if you know each other well enough, you can "hear" the written words in the author's voice.)

M.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
????? So what if your spouse calls you at work. Unless you work for Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or some retail stores, I've never heard of a place caring if someone calls you there.

And the notion that calling once a day "is way too much" looks more like a troll than a posting.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
We grow up thinking that we work 8 hours a day, do your job then the other 16 is your personal time. Sorry, it ain't so. Sometimes I solve work problems while sleeping in the middle of the night, or sometimes while driving home. On a business trip, how do you hug your wife or kids? It works both ways and you have to give and take.

If your kids are real young its not so bad, but after 10-20 yrs they become people in your family with real issues. Sometimes during the personal 16 hours of your day, you and your s/o won't be able to communicate one word about certain matters and working it out while at work is the only solution.

The main thing about work is do your job and be good at it. If you are a valuable asset to your company they'll understand.

Frederick

Second Unit
My fiance' and I use Instant Messenger, and it's up pretty much the entire day for the both of us. There are lags in conversations, like if we get busy or are away for an extended period of time, but mostly we're just "shooting the schiet", as it were. I enjoy it. I see her as one of my best friends, and we talk about everything. It makes the day less monotonous and helps it go by faster. At least to us :D ...
Freddy C.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, a lot of it is going to depend upon the person, and the reason for all the calls. Basically, if the employee isn't hindered in his ability to do his job, there's no issue. If it interferes with his productivity, and makes others have to take up his slack, then it's a problem.
My work is a good example. A big part of my job is taking orders over the phone. So I make sure all calls I get are as succinct as possible, business or personal. Then we also have walk-in customers. So if I were ignoring the customers to jabber with my fiance, I would expect to be finding another job soon. And it's happened to other people here twice since I've been here. But I help everyone I possibly can to the best of my ability, and still talk to my fiance at least once a day, usually just to find out our plans for the evening. So there's no reason it would be unusual, and it's situational in every circumstance.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My g/f is a manager at the job and no one knows we're seeing each other. I stop in her office twice a day if time permits.Once in the morning and again if the afternoon if we're both not busy.
My last g/f I only saw a few times a week, and we alternated the morning call. Once a day(unless something came up after we spoke).
If you have a wife and kids though and its something important I can see more, but if its just to ask if you want milk becuase she's going shopping, as said by a previous poster,for at home wives theres instant messenger nowadays and cellphones.
Personally I could care less how much time the people I work with spend on the phone with familyas long as it doesnt affect me.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
"Trust issues" have little to do with this. Some married couples simply like to communicate with each other several times a day. There are some people that seem to have a problem with this even when it affects them in no way whatsoever.

My wife and I send short text messages to each other on our phones. It's candid and personal.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Um, I make it clear in each relationship situation that I do not want to take private calls at work. Ever. Only in emergencies. My most recent situation went on the fritz because of unreturned calls. Well, so be it.

After two marriages, I long ago determined that, in my life, familiarity definitely does breed contempt. I prefer to see someone maybe one to three times a week--no more. Maybe an evening phone call on those nights we would not be seeing each other. It's the way the most recent sitch worked.

We're all different, of course. But taking five to six calls a day during work hours does not seem advisable--from an employment standpoint, at least. Nor do I think that such constant communication is healthy for a relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks