Does your receiver have this feature...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Paul Chiappini, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Paul Chiappini

Paul Chiappini Stunt Coordinator

Apr 21, 1999
    My 7.1 capable Onkyo had this feature, and I was wondering if other brands had something similar, in particular the new Yamaha 1400/2400.

When listening to 5.1 or Dolby surround sources, the Onkyo could send the surround right sound to the rear surround right speaker and likewise the surround left sound to the rear surround left. I really liked this feature as it opened-up the rear surround field when not using EX/ES source material.

I was at a dealer's, and he let me see the 2400's manual (the actual unit wasn't on the floor yet), but the manual was unclear in the implementation of this feature. It also looked like that if the 2400 was powered down, the preference setting for this was lost.

Be sure to mention make/model if the receiver has this.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Dec 16, 1998
    My Pioneer Elite 47TX has a few modes for using the two rear center speakers for 5.1 or Dolby Surround audio. THX Ultra 2 will extract a rear center channel from the L/R surrounds. DTS/Neo:6 will do something similar for Dolby Surround material. There are a few other options that I do not use.

One thing to beware of when doing this, though, is that the original rear surround info may all collapse to the back channels for some material. For example, Return Of The Jedi sounded terrible with the simulated 7.1 modes and worked much better in standard DPLII mode.