Does your Anthem MCA amplifier "pop?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulWY, Mar 15, 2003.

1. PaulWY

PaulWY Extra

I've got my mains connected to an MCA 2 Series II amplifier. When I turn on the amp, my speakers make a small "pop" sound. When my speakers are connected directly to my receiver (Denon 2802) there is no "pop" when I power up.

To be clear, I'm not confusing this with the "click" noise that I understand is a safety feature of both my amp and receiver. However, the "pop" occurs at the same time as the "click" in my amp.

To me, it doesn't sound loud enough to be doing any damage to the speakers, but I'm wondering if this is normal. Does anyone else with an MCA amplifier notice this?

2. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

I have MCA AMPS (20 and 50) and I leave them on AUTO so they come on when sound is detected.

I do notice a pop, only in my left surround, every now and then. It's usually at the beginning of a movie or when sound is first detected by the surround. Other than that, I'm not noticing pops. I guess I would not worry if it's not loud. I believe this is more attributed to power. It depends how much is operating on your circuit I guess.

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

This is common with many amps when used with a receiver. Not a big deal, but it can be avoided if you power the amp up first.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

other than checking for ground, consider adding a delay to the amp. RS might have something and their return policy is good.