What's new

Does XBOX support DTS? (1 Viewer)

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I know it supports Dolby Digital 5.1, but what about DTS? Am I correct in assuming that it doesn't matter whether or not the DVD has a DTS track on it, if the XBOX doesn't decode DTS?

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
The X-Box will not decode the DTS track. But it will pass DTS info to a DTS decoder. So if you have a DTS receiver and an X-Box, you can watch a DTS DVD,

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Does it have to have the Dolby Digital decoder to be able to have the digital output? Otherwise, why wouldn't Microsoft simply include the digital output? Doesn't it have to be run through a receiver anyway?

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, a digital output can be included on any item, regardless of whether it has an internal decoder or not. From what I understand, the reason Microsoft didn't include a digital output with the console is that the majority of XBOX users won't need one. You apparently have to buy additional cable bundles (that plug into that rectangular port in the back) to get the audio/video connections that you need. A friend of mine had to buy a second bundle to get the digital output as well as S-video. It's confusing, but like Jesse said, as long as you have the XBOX digital output and a DTS capable RECIEVER, you will be able to watch a DTS DVD. But you need that digital output to do it.

If you're talking about Software for the Xbox, some Xbox games support DD5.1, but no DTS for games. IMHO, the DD encoder on-board on the Xbox is one of the coolest things ever in a console.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The XBOX will pass a DTS bitstream from a DTS DVD to a receiver, but you need the A/V cable with the optical jack and you have to enable DTS in the Xbox's setup menu.
I know, I've tried it. :)
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks