Does X-10 need Surge Protection??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom Kay, May 26, 2003.

1. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I was at Home Depot, and the electrical guy said that he highly recommends a surge protector for the X-10 components.

I was wondering if anyone had any bad luck with blown X-10 components, and if this surge protector was the answer. I'd hate to get it all hooked up, enjoy it for a few days, and then have it go kaput just because of a voltage spike.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

2. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I can't recall for certain so check the x10 website, but you should NOT use surge protection for x10. The reason is that X10 uses the actual powerline to send it's signals through the house. The surge protector would "eat" the X10 signal thinking it was a small surge and thus your X10 modules would not work.

3. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Yes, surge protectors due cause interference with the x10 signal I can vouch for that. They also explode apart when hit by a lightning surge.
    I can vouch for that as well.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I use surge protectors with my X10 modules all of the time w/o any problems (lamp and appliance modules). Then again, I've never had a power surge before either.

5. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    No surge protector protects against lightening. Install a lightnnig rod for that. I haven't had any trouble with my x10 modules that are plugged into surge protectors, but it is not recommended if you can avoid it.

6. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Cool, good to know you guys have some actual experience with the x10 stuff plugged into surge protectors. Just out of curiosity...what do you guys have plugged into x10 that also needs to be plugged into a surge protector. All I have are some rope lights and sconce lights and I don't think they need any protection.

7. John.Meer

John.Meer Agent

X10 may not work through some surge protectors. Mine do not work plugged into several different model APC's and a Triplite.

If you search this boards (and others like this), while there is little concensus on individual surge protection products, there does seem to be some agreement that a whole-house (at the panel) protector that is rated for (I believe) transient voltage protection combined with plug-in local protection is as good as you get, short of unplugging things (the best).