What's new

Does video game playing stop when you get married? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I would definently recomend 2 tv's in the house, it's just easier that way.
Definitely the way to go. We've got our layout arranged so that if my wife's watching TV in the living room, we can still see each other if I'm in the spare room playing games or mucking about on the computer. It's seems like such a small detail, but it really helps - she /hates/ being "shut out" while I'm off playing games, and I really don't mind it - I like it that way. If I'm programming, though, or listening to music, the doors get shut as I don't want distractions ;)
There's pictures of my setup in a recent thread.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I've been divorced for over 6 years now and, videogame playing definitly had a part in it! She hated them, I've loved them since Pong. It grew a wedge inbetween us until it got to be more enjoyable to spend time with my 3DO than with her.
Boom; divorce.
My current gf likes gaming and doesn't mind at all that I play alot.
Well. videogaming did play a part of my divorce,though they were others...
But now, my fiancee' is into many of the same things as I am. Being able to share in those experiences, & well as pass them to my daughter, has made my life all the more fulfiling.
If you can get your other half involved in some way,cool!
(BTW..that whole thing about opposites attracting?? Crap. Screw that...I'm having much more of a good time now)
:D
Calvin (who with Leslie,his fiancee', has started his XBox Steel Battaloin fund)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, my fiance isn't really into gaming herself (although I have still got her hooked on Civ3), she understands that it's something I'm really into, and really has no desire to change that. She does like following anything with an interesting story though, and will often offer suggestions while playing. Her comment is that watching me play is more interesting than what's on TV.

That being said though, I DID manage to get her into Comics (another habit of mine), so it might just be a matter of time before I have her gaming as well...

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Whew... there's a habit that I'm glad I got out of, Comics that is.

Man, I spent a fortune collecting for a good year or so, and have 5 long boxes filled with stuff that I would just love to get rid of at this point.

Oh, well.

Glen

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
video game playing does not stop but slows down. I have been married for seven years and my wife still does not like video game but she doesnt mind me playing to much. good thing I guess cause I love video games.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
My wife used to play Mortal Kombat 2 with me back when we were dating. Lately we've been playing CounterStrike and Unreal Tournament together. He have the cable modem and router going so we can hop on the same server and join the same team.:) Of course she has always loved good stories and I've played through all the Final Fantasies for her. She likes the action games, even though she admits she isn't good at them. But last year I bought her Harry Potter for PS1 and she loves it and has played through 3 times now.

Derek Williams

Stunt Coordinator
My wife loves Resident Evil. We would wait until late at night and play from 11:00pm - 2:00am. She never wants to play she just likes to watch.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
My wife loves Resident Evil. We would wait until late at night and play from 11:00pm - 2:00am. She never wants to play she just likes to watch.
Derek: go out and rent the DVD of Resident Evil. Turn on the commentary track and you will hear the two female stars talk about how they loved playing RE. They also talk about how fun Grand Theft Auto was, but one of their 13 year old brothers tries to kill off the innocents in Half Life.
(Hottie movie stars who love playing video games - drool :) )

Leslie W

Stunt Coordinator
(who with Leslie,his fiancee', has started his XBox Steel Battaloin fund)

* Ahem*
Just WHO brought home that big huge candy container from work ?
Just WHO said " I want you to have this game, so I am going to put all my tips in here for you & all my spare change." ?
( I did do all this, but I love yanking Cal's chain )
The female view guys ......
I enjoy watching Calvin play games. He is very good and it is like watching a mini movie when he plays. Some games I like to play with him, like Halo, Tekken, DoA and so on. There are some I really don't like. ( Most all the StarWars games for example. ) I ask him to play these when I am not around or I am asleep. Since I work the midnight shift, this is not too big of a problem.
Some games I tell him he is the brawn ( actual player) I am just brains ( puzzle solver, thinker of hidden places player has missed looking in or at). I spot for him in SOCOM, and often times I have managed to save him from being shot. When voice chat goes out, I watch the IM for messages from his clan mates in case something important needs to be said. I buy him games and systems because knowing how much gaming means to him , makes me want him to be happy. And when he is happy...... I am happy. When I want his attention, believe me guys ..... I KNOW how to get it.
When I hear about couples who have differences that are so great one or the other has to give up something they love, it makes me sad. Gaming is a part of Calvin. I can not imagine what he would be like without that. I accepted it, and I make it a bigger part of my life than it had been. I have always played games, just I play a lot more now.
I don't have any advice on how to get your other halves into gaming. Spyro is a good introduction. I mean .... come on ... what woman can resist a 'lil purple dragon ?
Leslie W
( Who has threatened to hold her wedding ceremony at Dave and Buster's )

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Got that right! It might work for magnets but, it's bullshit; mostly, for people.
Sorry to thread fart. But I have to disagree. I seem to be attracted to the opposite of myself. I live with myself all the time. I don't want to date me.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Allan,
I second that emotion. I'm constantly amazed that my wife can not only deal with all of the issues that I bring to the forefront every day... but the smell as well. :P
Just kidding on the smell part. :)
It's just the right balance of differences and similarities that make a relationship work in my opinion. I guess that's why the first 5 years have gone so well for me.
Now, I'll just have to get my wife to get some gaming in with me this weekend. :)
Glen

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow, I could go on for hours on this subject!

In addition to enjoying video games, I am really into board and card games. I own close to 800 of them! That's always been a bigger issue with the womenfolk in my life than videogames.

As far as videogames go, my ex-wife liked to watch me play RPGs, but wasn't into playing too many games herself. She didn't like board games at all though.

My current girlfriend isn't *into* board games, but will play them with me 'cause she knows I like them, and she doesn't *hate* them or anything. On the other hand, I happily discovered some time after we got together that she is *more* addicted to video games than I am!

At any rate, I strongly recommend that before getting married, people try to explore each other's hobbies and interests as much as possible. You don't want to marry someone who will feel bitter about the fact that you like video games. Or who will make you feel bitter by stopping you from pursuing your hobbies. Seriously. It may sound a little silly, but just think about what's important to you.

Opposite personalities may attract, and so can opposite backgrounds and cultures (personally, I prefer to be with foreign women because I'm fascinated by other cultures!), but you want to be real careful before committing yourself to someone who has opposite INTERESTS!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One thing I succeeded in doing with my ex-wife, and am in the process of succeeding in with my girlfriend, is to turn them both into football fanatics! (With my girlfriend, yes this means she likes to play Madden. ;) )

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have not read the thread, yet, just the initial post. If you can et your wife interested in gaming, you are ok, at least until the children come along. Nothing takes time like the kids. But cheer up, once they reach a certain age, they will be bugging you for the newest consoles, at which time you can get back into it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks