What's new

Does video game playing stop when you get married? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Hey everyone,
I'm getting married next June, and I'm scared. No, not because I'll be spending the rest of my life with one woman, because I don't think I'll have time to play videogames anymore. Please, please tell me I'm wrong!

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just wanted opinions of gamers.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
This is the perfect forum, Paul. Congratulations on your engagement :)
It hasn't stopped me from gaming. Do I game as much time wise as I did a single guy? Probably not - a lot of that isn't so much down to being married, it's more my job demanding more time than it did before.
I certainly spend as much cash on it as I did before... But my wife generally doesn't mind me playing games, with one or two notable exceptions (primarily Shenmue). In fact, she joins in much more now than she did before we got married. She's a mean player of DOA2 & Mr.DrillerG.
Of course, that doesn't mean I spend all day & night sitting in the spare room playing the Dreamcast - I /do/ chose to give it up & spend time with her. A lot of how much you need to "give up" is down to the personality of your wife & how the two of you relate. Does she get annoyed at your gaming? Does it cause friction just now, before you're married?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Get your wife interested in games. That always helps. My wife's faves right now are Super Mario Sunshine and Kingdom Hearts.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations from this newly wed!:D (well 5 months now but it still feels all new and shiny!)
BrianB's post summed it perfectly. I play as much as I can but most of the time it is my job that gets in my way and not my wife. She is not much of a gamer at all but she understands my fixati...err hobby and tries to be supportive. Just make sure you separate the proper time to handle your duties as a husband (spendig quality time with her...get your mind out of the gutter!:D) and you will no doubt be an extremely happy man!

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I got married in November last year. That christmas, my wife bought me the Xbox. The only condition is that I buy her House of the Dead 3 with 2 guns so we can play together. :D She like playing Fuzion Frenzy with her sisters too. So no, I don't think gaming will stop for me anytime soon. ;)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've been married for 5 years and I'm still playing video games. I don't play as much as I did when I was single, but the benefits of being married more than make up for it. :D Just try to get your Fiancee/Wife to understand your 'hobby' and maybe she'll even join you.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Been married one week, three days, three hours, and thirty minutes and nothings changed, mainly because we have lived together for two years. Its not just marriage that cuts down on gaming time, its life: wife, kids, house, cars, jobs, etc...

millercv

Second Unit
I don't think so myself, but then again my wife typically goes to bed very early and I'm a night owl. I try to keep gaming to times when she is asleep - but when I'm addicted to a game I'll play it nonstop. This way she gets some cave time too.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Ive been married over 5 years now (and Im only 23) My wife loves watching FFX and socom online..... Like everyone else I dont play as much as when I was single I still get a fair amount of playing in... as long as the wife likes the game its all good.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
38 here.
There is no way in hell video game playing would stop for me. :) Seeing as I make them....it's our bread and butter.
"I'm just doing research baby!" :D
marriage doesn't stop your videogame playing. Now adding kids to the mix. I think that would seriously impede it.
Paul, just get your wife-to-be hooked on the Sims Online when it comes out. You'll be the one complaining. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Yes, I do play fewer games than I did. This is because we only have the one TV, and in order to play anything I've got to get my wife away from Pikmin for half an hour... ;)
More seriously, yes I would play more if I wasn't married, but thats because there are all sorts of other nice things I spend time doing as well. Not just "the obvious", but we go to gigs, the cinema, out to see friends etc far more than either of us used to.
And its just less tempting to stay up all night playing Counterstrike with obnoxious teenagers when there is a very lovely person upstairs who needs cuddling instead.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Not when you get married. In fact, my wife bought me my Xbox for Christmas last year. Halo as well. And organized my parents and in-laws to (between them) supply an extra controller and Project Gotham. Not bad. ;)
Now the addition of a kid, that's another matter entirely...

ruhrie

Agent
All,

I have been married since May and my video gaming has not changed. Actually it has gotten worse! Just kidding. Usually during the evening she will watch TV and I go play video games for awhile. It works out pretty well. It is actually kind of funny sometimes, when I am out watching tv with her she usually askes aren't you going to play computer or whatever console tonight.

But I agree, you just have to make sure you get your quality time in with her. Of course this will all change when we decide to have kids. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Rich

Andre F

Screenwriter
I've been married for five years and together with my wife for eleven years (I'm 29 BTW). I play as much as I want, but it's all about respect. In other I look for good times to play, not during her favorite show etc. Compromise is the key word here. We even have a one year old in the house and I still play quite a bit....

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I probably play more now than I did when I was single. That sounds bad (didn't play all that much before). My wife has 2 younger brothers and they were video game freaks when we first got married. For a while there, they would both come over about every Friday and we'd stay up until 3am playing, then spend half of Saturday as well.

As of late (after 5 1/2 years) we have some good friends that live right up the street. We'll have them over and he and I will game it up while our wives go out and do something together. It's a good setup. In fact, my friend came over last night and we played Hunter and Turok for about 3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks