What's new

Does vibration play a role in how a setup will sound? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I've seen these ads for rubber pods that your suppose to put under your gear and I guess its suppose to help prevent vibration. What I'm trying to find out about is with all the gear in ones system, does the vibration caused effect the sound or picture quality that is produce?

Kevin

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I don't know much about video, but vibrations and resonances can hurt audio sonics more than you might think. "Vibrapods" are what I use. AA has a good selection of these type of products.

It is tough for me to put a finger on exactly what they improve, but I did notice a difference. I used them under my amp first, and then went on to the pre and sources. I think coherance might be the word, or "rightness" You can always return them + they should help extend the life of your components.

-rob

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Many audiophile tweekers seem to believe in them. Personally, I think it's all snake oil, but that's just my uninformed opinion.

Martin.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
From a scientific/engineering standpoint, vibrations would have the most effect on turntables - since they convert mechanical vibrations to electrical signals, any extra vibrations would have an effect on the electrical signal produced. CD transports might be mildly affected, if the vibrations have an effect on the laser reading the disc. Tube electronics can also be susceptible to vibrations, as some tubes can be microphonic and convert mechanical/physical vibrations into electricity.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd have to say in most cases the micro vibrations will not affect sound or picture processing.
But lets say someone is using a very sensitive tube amp and a light weight CD player that is susceptable to jitter. Then they stack the equiptment in a high bass area like the corner of the room. This could call for an isolation rack or rubber pod to help out.
However, I'm not a believer in those expensive audio racks with air suspension or magnetic floating isolation. Some of those sites show graphs of different results that show a difference on paper... but I sure don't wanna be the one to ABA test racks...
http://www.grandprixaudio.com/

If you want to try this tweak and save money I suggest going to Home Depot and purchasing white half round door knob stops. Mike Knapp posted this tweak a few years back and Ive been using them ever since.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
How about spongy rubber practice hockey pucks? Anyone got a link to Mikes thread?

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I noticed a definite improvement when I isolated my CD player, but had basically no real difference with my DVD player. I'm skeptical about a lot of things, but I am willing to try them out. I feel this one was worth my time, so I will keep them. I'm still looking for a place to get Vibrapods locally, they seem to come highly reviewed, and for the price, you can't really complain about trying them out. I doubt the door knob stops cost much less...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks