Does using a real coax cable matter on a moderate setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benson R, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Previously I was using a low end yamaha with the dolby digital decoding done by my Toshiba player which was connected through the 6 ch input. I just purchased a Pioneer vsx d710s. I bought a toslink cable with it. When I hooked it up I discovered you had to assign the optical in to a video connection. The default settings assigned the coax to the dvd input and all the opticals to audio devices. Since I bought the reciever out of box without a remote for the time being I could not reassign it. Not wanting to make another trip to the store I used a standard audio rca cable in place of a digital coax cable. I did not even realize that this would work. To my ears everything sounds fine. But is there any benefit to using a cable labeled as being digital coaxial? Would the benefit be at all noticeable on a moderate system such as mine?

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Most probably, no. The difference, if any, would be hard to notice even on a much more resolving system than yours. So don't worry about it. If it's a really cheap audio interconnect, you might want to consider something with decent shielding, especially if you live in a high-RFI environment. Note that this doesn't mean you have to buy something expensive, just something decently constructed.