1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does UltraViolet still work in 2020?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 15, 2020 at 5:46 AM.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    As I have only recently discovered and immersed myself in the digital realm, I am continuing to redeem codes on many of my Blu-ray titles.

Finally coming to those with UltraViolet. Some say that they expire in 2018.

These seem to be the type of codes you have to insert your disc into a Blu-ray or DVD player (I am hoping DVD player since I own a Mac) and then download to your account.

Do these codes still work?

I recently discovered the EDWARD SCISSORHANDS thread at the top of the forum where I can turn an HD copy into a 4k copy by gifting myself.

I have a BD copy of the film with UltraViolet, however, before I start the process I am wondering if it's still redeemable.

My question is pretty much across the board with all titles as that will be my next redemption move.

2. Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

The best thing you can do honestly is redeem a couple and see what happens.

Even though UV shut down, the codes should still work at the retailers. As far as I know, expiration dates were always very loose, so those will probably be fine. The ones that require a disc insert I would be surprised if they worked, though. Those would have been from a long time ago.

If I were you, I would first try redeeming a couple directly into MA (if compatible) because that would be the easiest if it works, and if that doesn't work try them then at your retailer of choose...

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This!

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

For the titles that require a disc to be inserted, give them a try through iTunes. I think I was successful with a couple that way, although most did not work.