What's new

Does Traffic Here Cause IE To Lock Up? (1 Viewer)

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes when I try to come to HTF my Internet Exlorer locks up. I have to restart my computer. Is this because of traffic or Windows XP beign so messd up? My Windows has been up to date since last week but I have not downloaded the most recent update for some file that people may put on your computer or something or other.

- Steve

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I haven't seen IE lock up due to the traffic on the site only have the site slow way down and take forever to load pages. Is this the only site were you are having issues with your browser locking up on you?

Parker

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm. I don't think it's the site.
I too have seen IExporer virtually lock up when it is waiting for completion of certain loading tasks. I believed it to be either an XP issue or IE-6.
Recently (after having had other IE problems with my system) I have built another XP system on a second disk, this time fresh and not upgrading from Win-ME, and it looks like this problem doesn't exist anymore - but I have to wait for a final conclusion (only 2 days experience with the new system - and, BTW, not everything installed yet :) ).
Cees

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I got in today again somehow. :)
Going to check out some other areas while I'm here.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think the two flash banners on the main page are causing some problems for me. I'm running Win XP Pro. Lately the browser window has been freezing when click the back arrow to leave a forum and come back to the main page to enter another forum.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I am experiencing the same thing as Wayne (Im using Win2k) IF you wait long enough it will go back to the index, but typically it will not open a new forum afterwards.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There has been a world-wide DoS attack on servers on the Internet last weekend + Monday. It may have had something to do with many of the response problems most people have been experiencing during those days.

Cees

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Cees,

The DDoS attack was on the top-level DNS servers which wouldn't have effected HTF's response times or cause IE to lockup/freeze when the user hits the 'back' button.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The page freezes may indeed be due to the two flash banners I am not sure. I too have noticed a delay in the main page loading up the first time I get on the site but after that things work ok. I took the flash banners out briefly though the other day and we still had the delay. I am not really sure where the new delay is coming from. We are still working on getting a second CPU in place and setting up Linux to run with both of them.

Parker

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The DDoS attack was on the top-level DNS servers which wouldn't have effected HTF's response times or cause IE to lockup/freeze when the user hits the 'back' button.
Yes it would, if the banners are linked from another site.

Complicated pages load much slower (or lead to unsatisfied requests) during DoS's, because time-outs occur during the load process.
The top DNS-servers are addressed several times during loading of those sort of pages. They are unresponsive and/or slow because of the attack. Simple pages load in a simple sequence of transmissions after a DNS is invoked once.
Also, it may let the browser wait ("forever" ? if a timeout occurs on the way in between) in the middle of a load-page operation, which is known to set IE to a virtually unresponsive (unresponsive to the user) state until the loading process completes.

Using the back-button may cause a local load-from-cache of the main page, while certain linked items may still have to be reloaded from their original domains (e.g. if their lifetime is shorter).

Cees

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The top level DNS servers distribute the DNS information to other DNS servers on the network. There is no need for a DNS lookup to go to the top level server when there are other DNS servers available. Most/all ISPs provide their own DNS lookup.

In any case whether or not a DDoS on the top-level DNS servers would cause a slow down on HTF, the attack only lasted for an hour on (IIRC) Sunday night/Monday morning and would have no effect on performance probelms last Wednesday.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
To be precise: I myself have had no problems of that kind since Monday!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks