What's new

Does TiVO not record commercials? (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I was reading a Zap2it.com article about how networks might start adding an advertisement bug to the screed during a programs broadcast, just like the one that identifies which station you're watching.
The article menitoned something along the following lines..."with devices like TiVO that allow viewers to record programs withough commercials..." Does TiVO have an option that cuts them out, or do you think they're just meaning you can fast forward?
One idea that I've had for a long time, concerns having Networks broadcast a begin signal when a show starts, and an end/begin signal when the following program starts. All new VCR's, PDR's, and future DVDR's would be able to read the signal. If you've told it to record that program, it will. It records from the start of it, to the start of the following program so that all commercials are recorded, and advertisers won't be getting cut out. This way, if a program had a delayed start, you wouldn't miss the end of it as you would on a TiVO. As I understand it, TiVO records from the scheduled start time.
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
In the future there will be some program data on the exact start and stop times in the VBI signal.
Think of how the networks will use it though. Make your network's shows end a few seconds after your competitors start. ie make CSI run from 8:00:00 to 9:00:05 and miss the beginning of ER which starts at 9:00:00.
Or 'accidentally' leave off the show ending mark after Survivor so you record CSI instead of Will & Grace.

Users who are viewing this thread