Does this type of motherboard exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Berger, Nov 22, 2002.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I'm looking for a motherboard that uses the AMD processor line (I will NOT purchase Intel) and allows the use of 168-pin SDRAMs while still going beyond 1.5 GHz. I'm looking at the 2.0 to 2.4 GHz range.
    Unfortunately, the only motherboards that I can find that go beyond 1.5 GHz require DDR. (The system is already 1.4 GHz.) I'd prefer to stick with SDRAM simply because I have 1/2 GB of available memory that would be ridiculous to put into some of my other machines because quite frankly they don't need it, so adding more memory just for the sake of adding memory would be a complete waste. I also am not impressed with the inflated "benefits" to high RAM bus speeds, which are quite frankly a farce and have no practical advantages to even heavy home use with the exception of impressing friends.
    Although requiring the purchase of DDR RAM isn't going to put a complete stop to my upgrade, I'm a bit put off because 1/2 GB of DDR RAM is more expensive than the motherboard/CPU combo that I was looking at! (256 MB is not an option for what this PC will be doing, so don't even suggest it. [​IMG] )
    What would REALLY be good is a motherboard that can handle DDR and SDRAM to allow my to upgrade to DDR when the time is more appropriate and funds are more readily available.
    I prefer Asus and Soyo, although I've heard that Gigabyte is quite good as well.
    Anyone know of any motherboards that can do what I'm looking for?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have the abit kg7 with the amd athlon xp 1700+ and it seems to go pretty well. also 512 mb of ddr sdram. ddr ram isntall that expensive, you can get 512 mb for about $118 at pricewatch. by comparison, pc133 512 mb is less than $30, so basing your new computer on an old memory stick shouldnt be done, imo. i think i can use regular sdram, maybe im wrong, but i dont know if my board requires ddr.

3. John_Berger

4. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

5. John_Berger

I like that. I've never heard of ECS, though. Are they any good?

6. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

That particular board is problematic at best. Some have had great success but many others have had nothing but problems. It tends to have a "cold boot problem." Takes several restarts to boot properly leading to data corruption over time. I am still suffering with this board - simply do not have time in my life currently to go through another rebuild. I don't know what revision they are on now: they may have possibly fixed the problem.
    C. Ryan

7. John_Berger

8. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Never used it. I think it's the only SD/DDR motherboard that supports AMD though.

9. John_Berger

*sigh* I might be stuck waiting for the ol' tax return at this point. [​IMG]

10. JoshR

JoshR Agent

Mark beat me to it.
    I have a K7S5A board and it's exactly what you requested, John. Goes above 1.5(Mine has an XP2000 1.6ghz) and can take both kinds of ram, though not at the same time. I haven't upgraded to DDR myself, and I know exactly how you feel.
    Tom's Hardware gave this board a good review, btw. I haven't had problems with it, nor have I heard of problems. Now I'm worried. [​IMG]

11. John_Berger

I'm starting to winder of the SDRAM is being the bottleneck in going to an appropriate processor, though. I can't justify buying a new motherboard just to go from 1.4 GHz to 1.6. If I'm going to upgrade, it's going to be at least to 2 GHz to make the upgrade worthwhile.

If SDRAM is restricting the processor bus, then I probably don't have a choice. It will simply delay my purchase by a few months. (Christmas is coming, after all.)

12. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I just want to suggest some benchmarks on DDR-SDRAM vs SDRAM:
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainbo.../kt333-11.html
    All of these benchmarks are using an Athlon XP 2000+
    In some applications, (like the MP3 encoding that they benchmark), it makes no difference. But it can make a substantial amount of difference for other things, like games and video encoding.
    Personally I am still running 384 MB of PC133 on a Athlon T-bird 750. No money for an upgrade yet.
    If you definitely don't want to go DDR, Tom's used a VIA KT133A MSI K7T Turbo Limited Edition (Rev.: 3) board for their test with PC133.
    I personally like Epox boards....from their PC133 supported CPU list, The EP-8KTA3+PRO, EP-8KTA3L, EP-8KTA3L+ support the XPs and use PC133. However, the Thoroughbred support (like the some of the speedier chips) is spotty on some of them.

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I also have the K7S5a, and its been working GREAT for me with my AMD Tbird 1.3GHz, with 256DDR Ram... No problems at all.. GREAT value

15. John_Berger

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Berger, I can immediately tell the difference between 30 frames per second and 60 frames per second. In fact, tests have shown that the human eye can go beyond 60 FPS.
    It is a myth that the human eye can only see 15-20 FPS.
    I notice a 50% increase in speed going from SDR to DDR RAM. It is very noticeable when comparing graphic-oriented apps.
    All of the benchmarks show that the memory bus is THE bottleneck now that CPUs are beyond the 1 gigahertz range. It is measurable and repeatable. Scientific applications also benefit greatly from fast memory bus speeds.
    If memory speed didn't matter, than why do CPUs have fast L1 and L2 caches? Memory speed matters.

17. John_Berger

18. John_Berger

19. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I'd suggest you either get DDR to go with your XP or just get a Tbird at 1.33 or 1.4 - you won't be doing any justice to the XP by using it with SDRAM.
    But since you've pretty much set on using SDR, i'd second (third?) the recommendation for the ECS K7S5A. Not very overclockable, not very reliable, but there you have it - you get what you pay for.

20. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oh that reminds me...the K7S5A is not a very reliable board. Cheap though. If your time is worth nothing, then it's a good deal. [​IMG]