Does this sound like a good home theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_M_E, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Kevin_M_E

Kevin_M_E Auditioning

I am going to be buying a complete home theater in the near future and I would like to know if the components that I selected are good ones. I only have a $1800 budget and I don't need top of the line. That said, here is what I picked out:

TV: 32" Sony WEGA KV-32FS100
    DVD: 5 Disc Philips DVD793CH
    Receiver: Yamaha HTR5560
    Speakers: Yamaha NS-P220

I know the speakers are only 5.1 but I don't have any place to mount a rear center speaker. WIll that matter with my receiver? Is this a good selection for a low budget home theater?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Personally, I don't think it's a huge drawback to go with 5.1 sound. As you peruse the titles at your local video store, you will find very few discs encoded with Dolby-ES or DTS-ES.

Just to make one small suggestion, I would apportion more of your budget to the speakers and less to the receiver.

A good ratio is 30% for the receiver and 70% for the speakers. Of course, you may have some minimum level of power and/or features in mind for the receiver. That said, you can find decent models for as little as $160 (Panasonic SA-HE70) or even the entry-level Yamaha, the 5540, which lists for $300.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I did a quick search on your receiver and came up with a price of $449.10. If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck you could save $150 by going with the Yamaha HTR5540 5.1 Channel Surround Receiver for $299. It's 5.1 rather than 6.1 but you said you won't be using a rear center channel so why pay for one?

4. Kevin_M_E

Kevin_M_E Auditioning

Thanks for the input everyone. I chose the Yamaha HTR5560 because of the number of inputs that it has. I will not be using the 6.1 right away, but I am planning on using it in the future after I can rearrange some stuff in my house. I also chose the cheaper speakers because I have a friend that should be able to get me a good deal on some in a few months.

Other than that stuff do the components sound good?

5. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I would wait a few months on the speakers. If you are going to get a good deal on all new ones only a few months down the road, why buy inferior ones now?

Save the money and put it towards the better speakers by all means.

That said, I know it is hard to wait when it comes to this stuff.

6. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

First I would look at the speakers. The other guys are right - get the speakers that sound best to you, then match a receiver. With $1800 budget, I would put around $1000 to speakers. Second, I would look at HK or Marantz for AV receivers. I had a Yamaha and hated it - too harsh and too bright. The HK and Marantz have a better sound and are high current. I would not worry about 6.1 now as most DVD
    's aren't even there yet - probably less than 5%. Besides, upgrading usually results in a replacement purchase as fast as technology moves today. You can get a good HK for around $300-$400 that will do everything you need. The DVD palyer should be last - be sure to get progressive scan - around $150.

Consider your TV purchase seperately. Otherwise, you may end up with a good picture, and lousy sound. An alternative to the expensive Sony's would be Toshiba's Cinema line. If you aren't going for HDTV, get the basic model. You won't notice the difference in a screen 32" or smaller. Good luck!!