does this really work?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Early this morning, like 8am!, I got a phone call. I looked at the Caller ID, and saw: "Unknown Name: 111-111-1111." So, I let the machine pick up.

Amazingly, "Unknown Name" left a message. The message left on my machine is this: "Ah, yeah, H. Jack Livingstone calling. I've been trying to reach you for some time regarding a promotion you were entered into for a Lexus automobile. It's pretty important that I speak with you. If you would please call me at 800-730-1101, I'm at extension 220 and I look forward to speaking with you about the award acceptance rules."

The guy sounded quite bored. And, even tho he claims to have been "trying to reach" me for "some time," I've never heard of him before. Nor, obviously, have I entered any promotions to win a "Lexus automobile."

My question is: does this sort of idiotic cold calling scam really work? Do people -- do YOU -- ever call back, thinking they've won a Lexus? I am tempted to call back and just get involved to see what the whole scam is, to walk thru it, and maybe report back about it. But, who has time for this nonsense?

Does this work? Is anyone here involved in this stuff? Please explain if possible.

MC

2. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Nope. I never fallen for any of these scams. A lot of times the elderly will fall for them however.

Let me ask you, are you on the National Do Not Call list?

3. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Enough people fall for the scams to make it worth it, although If this was an actuall person, I'm somewhat suprised. Most of the scammers use computers to try and get only the most gullible. If you are on the Do Not Call list, you could call back, try and find out who is actually doing the calling and report them, but it's probably some fly-by-night operation.

(I'm starting to hear reports of phone versions of the 419 Nigerian scams, where they try and get your bank account number, this may be one of those)

4. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I thought I was on the do-not-call-list. But, in my opinion, the do-not-call-list was actually a marketing scam and it just gave them all a bunch more numbers, those scammers.

I just can't see anyone, even an elderly person (and, what's the point of that scam?) except maybe someone with brain damage, falling for this kind of thing. But I guess you're correct: enough do to make it worthwhile.

Huh.

MC

5. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

The Do Not Call list is legit but it has been myered in legal troubles. One way they can get around it is if you have in some way conducted business with the company. In that way they can make the case that it isn't un-solicited. (Pardon the double negative.) Then there are the completely bogus/fly by night operations who don't give a damn. In any case, if they are reputable you simply have to answer once and firmly tell them to remove you from their call list.

I ordered some Father's day gifts from Omaha Steaks this year and began getting calls from them shortly after. I gave them the "please don't call" once and I haven't heard from them since.

At least your Lexus morons left some information. I really hate the ones that just leave a name and a number and say it's urgent. If it's so damn urgent, tell me what it's regarding in the message. [​IMG]

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I LOVE my anonymous call blocker. It SUCKS that I have to pay for it, but it's worth EVERY penny.

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

OMG, Micah, I didn't know that you were registered on the HTF forums! What luck! I have been trying to reach you for some time regarding a Home Theater sweepstakes in which you were entered. I would like to send it to you right away. All you have to do is pay for shipping so please PM me your charge account information.[​IMG]

8. Paul Padilla

True enough.

9. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I called back and now I'm rollin in my new Lexus.

10. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

My dad falls for every scam that comes his way. If something sounds too good to be true, he'll jump right on it - it's only when something is credible that he becomes skeptic. He's the type that ignores anything that science has to say while automatically believing everything that gets broadcasted on the Art Bell show.

11. Paul Padilla

If your dad has E-mail then you just might see him some day soon with a huge bulge in his pants as he runs around spending money he got from the former prince of Um-gabba-Uhura while waiting to hear from Citibank regarding his E-mail confirming his account number and PIN. [​IMG]

12. MarkHastings

Don't forget the fact that he can drive that new Lexus to his GIGANTIC home...which he now can afford because of the great interest rate he received.

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

BUT he needs to sit in the backseat now because he took some pills that did a GREAT job of "enlarging" him[​IMG].

Brent

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Look on the bright side - if you ever need money you won't have to go through the humiliation of asking him to lend it to you or the annoyance of paying him back. You just need to send him an e-mail from an anonymous Hotmail account or call him from a payphone. [​IMG] If fact, if you've got his e-mail address or phone number handy, I really want to replace this old carpet with wood laminate... [​IMG]

Joe

15. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

[​IMG]

MC

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You don't need a lexus now that you have a nice shiny new Trek... right??? [​IMG]

Jay

17. MarkHastings

be sure the subject says "Fwd: pLease $end me Money and y0u can get a laRGer p%enis."

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Some years ago I got a call from some scammer claiming he wanted to send me free electronic goodies, and all I had to pay was "shipping". To top it off, he asked for my checking account information to pay for it. When I asked why, he pretended he couldn't hear me and hung up.

19. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    This message is left monthly on my answering machine. He mentions no Lexus, no prize money, no condo on the beach -- just some "information." And he says his name as if it's supposed to mean something to me, but I've never heard of Bob. He sounds bored to death, with no sense of urgency or enthusiasm.

With so little to entice me, why does this guy persist in thinking that I might even remotely be compelled to call him back?

20. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

They're a scam. We got the same exact message. Just because I wanted to talk to a telemartketer(dumb is fun), I replied. They said that i needed to partake in 1 overpriced trip and have 5 friends take overpriced trips in the next 6 months too. I think each trip was around 10,000 dollars. Good luck convincing a friend(let alone 5) to take a 10,000 dollar trip in the next 6 months. It's basically a free ipod scam with vacations.