1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this make any sense?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by james vaughan, Oct 9, 2005.

1. james vaughan

This off of a review for the Dennon 3805.

Summary:
    Sssssssh! Listen up! Want to improve the already great sound of your 3805? Set all speakers to large; turn subwoofer OFF or NONE. Set to play on Pure Direct. The full signal + LFE is sent to your L&R mains. Connect a "Y" adaptor from your front L&R preamp outs to your subwoofer in. Why do this? This removes a crossover that results in even warmer, sweeeter but cleaner sound! Believe me...you are not getting the most potential out of either your speakers or amplifier without setting up the 3805 in this manner.

I also use a SignalCable 8' power chord that gives a superior current flow that improves dynamics very noticeably, along with SignalCable interconnects and speaker cable.

If you run pure direct you cannot run in dd or dts.

2. John S

John S Producer

It is questionable, because it is sort of audio taboo to have multiple speakers driving the same sounds. IEL LFE going to mains and sub. Maybe if you use the electrnic cross of you sub somehow. I dunno.

I am skeptical of the setup. I would not set it up that way myself.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

There are several things wrong with that setup.

First, if you set ALL speakers to large, then all speakers will be sent a full range signal. You will lose any bass that any of the speakers can not handle (and I don't know many people with full range center and surrounds). He is correct that the LDE will be redirected to the mains.

2nd, using a Y-adapter on line level signals to mix channels is never a good idea. It will either work poorly or not at all do to voltage mismatches. If your sub has stereo line level is you could just run 2 wires and that would work.

3rd. Pure direct only runs in stereo. And stereo does not have a LFE channel. So you are sending a full signal to the main speakers and the sub. So there will be a bass overlap.

4th. I don't see how all this will be any better. With the 38xx series, in Pure Direct mode the original stereo signal stays in tact going to the main speakers. If the sub is used, a copy is sent to the crossover circuits. (technically this results in a overlap in bass as well, which is why Prue Direct should only be used for Stereo with full range speakers). So in the end, all he accomplished was to have sub implement the low pass filter, which is probably not near the quality of the Denon. (because he manually copied the signal using the pre-outs to the sub's crossover, instead of it all being done internal)

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    To me, it sounds like this guy has no clue.

5. james vaughan

O.k. what you guys said made more sense to me than what he suggested.I am a tweeker and not in the druggy sense and love to try anything new that might improve my system. Of course nothing is ever new and improved.

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

If anything, this will turn off all digital processing. In pure direct with mains crossed over to a sub, the receiver will still do some digital processing. By following this setup, all of the digital processing in the receiver is turned off. The main speakers get the full range signal as does the sub, and you'd use your sub's crossover to set the low-pass filter. In theory, no digital processing is best. I'm not sure I buy this, but some purist might.

From the 3803 owner's manual, "The subwoofer's channel level must be set to 'OFF' in order to turn off the digital circuit in the PURE DIRECT mode."