What's new

Does this justify a new processor? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Paul
Ok have a Sunfire TGP-5, about a year old, I just got a new 73'' Mitsubish TV with all the bells and whistils, and a new Panasonic blueray player. Now the TV and blueray player have the HDMI circutry, and so does my TGP-5 AV processor, but the TGP-5's HDMI only supports the video on the HDMI, not the audio. I have the HDMI from my blueray player going directally to my TV, and I have an optical digital cable going from my blueray player to the TGP-5, my TGP-5 supports just about all the audio formats except Dolby Digital HD, and DTS HD, so I guess this means that I can't get the full benifit from the blueray audio, so is Dolby Digital HD, and DTS HD that much better that I should consider getting a new processor, that supports Dolby Digital HD, and DTS HD, and also have HDMI that support both the video, and audio, instead of just the video?
Paul

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You have 8 channel analog inputs. Just get a BD player with 7.1 analog outs and you are set for all the new codecs. E.g. Oppo BD-35, LG 390, Panasonic BD-80.

Definitely wouldn't throw out a year old receiver/processor for it IMO. Don't even know if it's worth the bother to get the BD w/ analog decoding, it's more of "get it since it's not that much more so you don't have to wonder if you are missing anything".

I got a new receiver for the new codecs, but that was only because my older receiver was DD only & 2 only digital inputs, a much more crippled/obsolete situation than yours.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks Stephen,
My blueray player has 7.1 analog outs, along with a digital out, and an optical digital out. So should I disconnect the optical digital out, and just run with the 7.1 out into my TGP-5, or can I leave the optical digital cable hooked up, and still run the wires for the 7.1 out on my blueray player into my TGP-5?
Thanks so Much,
Paul

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Run the 7.1 outs and be sure and do all the audio setup on the BD player (speaker size/distance/level etc.). As for optical, doesn't really matter what you do, you'll only be using one or the other input depend what you select on the Sunfire. You could leave it on if you want to compare (but have to carefully volume level match & blind test for any comparison to be remotely valid).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors