Does this eBay billlook legit?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bill Kane, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

After lying dormant for at least a year and a half, I used my PayPal account (having to email them for my password) two weeks ago to submit a donation for the current HTF fund drive.

Subsequently, I have been “notified” twice by email they are billing me $15. WTF.

The email is from EBAY SERVICE and subject is EBAY ACCOUNT ACTIVITY. It reads:

Dear eBay Member,
    Dear customer, you have been billed for $15.00 recently. Please update your billing information at eBay Billing Center. This is eBay auto generated message, if you think you received it by mistake or you want to remove these notifications, please update your profile at Billing Center.

Previously I did not opt to click for the optional bank backup option. Nor have I tried the account link within the above email.
    Any experience with this ?

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I've gotten two of these as well. I paid my ebay bill already so my guess is this is likely bogus with the key being the javascript button that not surprisingly doesn't work under OSX. [​IMG] I think someone wants our data.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Someone is "phishing" for your eBay information. They put up a bogus website that looks like eBay, then they send you an e-mail with a link to it, using the Microsoft exploit that makes it look like the link goes to eBay.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Ebay is the most commonly 'phished' site. Report the it to ebay and the FBI.

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Just remember to NEVER click any link via email that claims to represent eBay or PayPal. Just manually type in PayPal.com or ebay.com in your browser, and then you can confirm your billing information, etc.

It's so easy to mask a hidden url in email, that I must get bombarded with pseudo paypal emails about once a day.

Login manually, it's not worth it.

6. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I had one of those in my home e-mail yesterday as well, as well as one the day before that. I forwarded them both to eBay, and they informed me that they would investigate the matter. Then I deleted the e-mails out of my database. It's another scam to bilk money out of people.