Does this circle jig exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I'm looking for some sort of jig that will attach to a jig-saw that will allow it to make a perfect cicle. I thinking that it would need only a straight metal bar that protrudes out from the side of the bottom plate of the saw (lined up exactly beside the blade). The other end could have a pin that fits into a hole at the center of the desired hole. This would allow the saw to spin around in a perfect circle. Does this exist?

thanks

Jim

2. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

Buy a router!

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jim

The jigs actually may exist, but a major problem with using a jigsaw is the blade flexing. Not a big deal with really thin material, but a definite issue with .75"-1.5" stock

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have also built many boxes and cut out many holes for subs with a jig saw. I just got my plunge router and circle jig recently and it really is a much nicer/cleaner/accurate cut. It's an amazing tool and I don't know how I ever managed without it. In fact, my new Dewalt 621 plunge router is my new favorate tool. It used to be my one click wire stripper I got for free in the mail.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jim

I've been building speakers for 40yrs, I know how a jigsaw works. The blades flex side to side when making a cut in thicker material. It's impossible to prevent. It's a function of the pressure on the blade when it's being forced to turn. As a result the cuts aren't 'plumb'.

If you have a router get the Jasper jig.

7. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I don't know of a commercial unit, but it's pretty easy to cobble one together with some scraps. As long as you make sure the front of the blade is used for referencing the pivot point, you should be good. I have used 1/4" scrap for the base and 1/2" strips to enclose the base of the jigsaw. A little hot glue to put it together and you'll be in business.

Pete

8. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Can always use the DIY pegboard jig. Worked great for my sonosub! Do a search as someone posted a pic of his...

9. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

Sorry posted this in the wrong place.

10. Marc Bodin

Marc Bodin Extra

If you have a good jigsaw and the proper blade, you can cut a pretty good circle out. Ive never had a need for a jig for my jigsaw. For smaller diameters try using a hole saw. A router makes TONS of dust on MDF, Id wear a mask if you go that route.

11. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

Jigsaw blades always flex when I use them. If you already have a router and plan on using the Jasper jig in the future, I would highly recommend it. I just got mine and cut my driver hole with ease. Not to mention, you would have some nice cutout circles which would make great party favors.

12. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

Haha, party favors and they're fun to roll down the street and watch dogs chase after them. When I went to get a router and jogsaw, I opted for the expensive jigsaw and no router. I would rather have one good thing two two peices of junk. Anyway, I just put a thin screw about halfway through the MDF at the center of the circle and loop two peices of bailing wire or coat hanger around the screw and then to the front and back of the jigsaw. You'll have to keep the wires staight and tight otherwise the circle will be all messed up. Talk about ghetto fabulous.