Does the X-box support DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kheng Hong, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

I know it supports DD5.1, but DTS games are coming out for the PS2.
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

The Xbox supports DTS. It has been mentioned that it will pass DTS for movies but no games have been confirmed that have DTS. But who cares if you got real time Dolby Digital 5.1 for ALL games! But if you prefer DTS I see it as its just a matter of time.
    ------------------
    Haynes HomeTheater

3. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Several XBox titles have been announced with DTS soundtracks as well, mostly from EA if I recall correctly, but there may be others as well.
    Off the top of my head, NHL 2002 and SSX Tricky (snowboarding) were both announced with DTS audio.
    It should be noted that as far as games is considered, on the XBox, Dolby Digital would probably be the preferred soundtrack format. The XBox has the ability to generate DD 5.1 soundtracks in real time...i.e. the soundtrack isn't prerecorded and staged beforehand like a movie. The net effect is that as you're playing a game, say Halo (first person shooter), as you run around, based on your orientation and what direction you're facing, you'll hear sound effects out of the proper speaker(s) as you're playing. No other system boasts this ability, and from what I've read, it creates for a truly immersive experience. I'm quite excited about the Xbox (and Gamecube), but man, I realllllly can't wait to get my hands on some of the upcoming Xbox titles. [​IMG]

4. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I got to play the X-Box at a local Babbages. Let me just say that OddWorld does not look any better than an N64 game. The textures are really blurry. However the jaggies are minimal compared to the PS2 so is does have some sort of AA. From what I have seen the Gamecube looks better than both PS2 and X-Box. But personally I like my computer more for gaming.

5. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

Not all games, only about 15 out of 300 going to be released.
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

6. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Josh,
    with all due respect, but uh, when's the last time you had your eyes checked!? [​IMG]
    The display I saw with someone playing it (alas the line was a bit long to play), Oddworld was looking grrrreeeeat. The store I was at had two displays, one hooked up to what looked like the standard Xbox kiosk, the other to a sizeable monitor...the monitor looked much better than the kiosk display. My assumption is that the displays used in the kiosks were of relatively poor quality...I'd noticed the same thing with PS2 kiosks when those first emerged as well..

7. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

I second that. Maybe these official trailers will allow you to see the true quality of x-box games? Josh, get ready to be converted to this new religion called x-box.
    http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=5804120
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

8. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

The Munch demo does not represent the quality of the final version of the game, it is a 5 month old WIP.
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

9. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

must...have...x-box. Really, one of the big reasons I bought a 65" HDTV - games.
    Just think - HD games plus DD5.1.

10. Antoine Peltier

I work in games and here's the facts:
    X-box supports DD5.1 in-game , not DTS.
    PS2 supports DTS Interactive in-game, not DD. The first game to use this is NHL 2002 by EA.
    Gamecube has neither, only prologic, very lame.

11. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Dude, Oddworld looks like garbage, and I say this as a video game addict. I play them like 15 hours a day. Tony Hawk 3 for the PS2 is the BOMB by the way. Anyway, NHL 2002 for the PS2 has real time DTS sound. Im still getting an Xbox. Halo is freaking SWEET looking, AND it has HD games, what more do you need to say?