Does the weather affect the movie you watch or music you listen to?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

When it's sunny I usually opt to watch a movie that mostly takes place in sunny conditions. For example, I watch Star Wars: A New Hope only during the Summer, never in the Winter and likewise I can only watch Empire Strikes Back in the Winter and never in the Summer. The other day it was overcast so I popped in The Goonies because that movie mostly features cloudy exteriors and I felt it was appropriate for the weather conditions. Back to the Future 2, another cloudy/rainy day movie but Back to the Future 3 is most definitely a clear day/Summer movie. The Boys From Brazil, another movie I can mostly watch only during the Winter. Blade Runner is another good rainy day movie for me since it's such a damp environment kind of movie. The list goes on but I think you get the point.

Music is a bit trickier. For me it mostly depends on what kind of mental image I have of the mood it puts me in. I'm a big jazz fan so something like George Benson's Breezin I only listen to during clear days, never in the Winter because it just reminds me of a sunny 70's album. On the other hand an early album by Grover Washington Jr. such as Winelight or Come Morning I only listen to during cloudy or rainy days. There's the obvious ones like Michael Franks' Tiger in the Rain but once I get to albums by the Stones or Floyd I usually listen to them any time regardless. The first Doors album is a Winter album while most of the rest are Summer or any time albums for me.

Ok so I know I'm weird(maybe it's because I was born on the first Earth Day and I'm such a nature boy) but does anyone else let the weather dictate what they watch or listen to? [​IMG]

2. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Me too, by mood and weather.

Last couple falls, I HAVE to; - sometime in the fall around Oct. Play the “Ghost and Mrs. Muir” (Rex Harrison version). Thank goodness this year I can view it via DVD , vs VHS.
    I’ll always do this on a stormy night or when the (“Listen the Wind is Rising”) is kicking up sending all the brittle leaves dancing like dervishes in the street. And always after dark.

Another favorite, Was Chris Rea “The Road to Hell” when I was headed out to the airport for the weekend (the drop zone). His growling vocals put the ‘right’ edge on my teeth, to deal with all the guys out there.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Yes. Frequent lightning storms here force me to choose the original alternative to music- silence.[​IMG]

4. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Seasonal as well. Around Halloween I like to watch "Halloween" (of course) and "The Crow". During Xmas I like to watch "Black Christmas" & "A Christmas Story".

On rainy days I like to watch movies like Blade Runner & Unforgiven. I'm a very moody person so I like to watch movies that fit my mood as well. When I'm in a good mood I like to watch comedies like The Princess Bride. When I'm feeling a little low I like to throw on Donnie Darko, don't ask why. [​IMG]