What's new

Does the Wal-Mart near you have DVD damaging security devices? (1 Viewer)

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Wal-Mart today to buy the Nightmare on Elm Street collection and as I walk into the DVD section I notice something that wasn't there before. All of the box sets, TV DVDs, and even some normal DVDs had a new security device. There was a round thing in the middle and wires that come out of it surrounding the DVD. I looked at the Nightmare set and noticed that the wires that were part of the security device dug into the box causing these huge indentations. I checked some other DVDs with the device and all of them had the same dents. Obviously I didn't buy it and that's the last time I go to that Wal-Mart for DVDs. I know they want to make sure the DVDs don't get stolen but they should at least loosen the thing.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen that at either of my local Wal-Marts, however I haven't been to them in a while... I will have to check this out. Sounds pretty lame to me. One thing I WON'T do is purchase damaged goods for full price. Oh well...

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
It sounds like you are talking about a spider-wrap. Unfortunately, they don't work if they are loose. You can force one wire off over any corner and then the whole thing falls off. We've used them before on digital cameras and the like where the shape of the box is less important. Using them on a DVD box set sucks, whoever decided to do that should be beaten within an inch of his/her life.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Sounds like the Alpha Spider Wrap Best Buy uses them for high priced software and hard drives and such. They weren't really made for small items like DVDs. They probably tighten them so much so that you can't take it off. If they are going to go to security wraps they should at least use a product that is made for DVD. But this is Wal-Mart after all.

--Ian

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I've seen these devices on dvd box sets at Best Buy (but not lately), and many other items there and other places.

My local Walmart has taken a different tack; it displays only empty boxes; you must ask a clerk in electronics for the real thing if you want it.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Sounds like the Alpha Spider Wrap Best Buy uses them for high priced software and hard drives and such.
But with software or hard drives nobody really cares of the box has a few indentations, its not like they are going to be on display.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Future Shop has those on software, hardware and last time I went, on SOME DVD box sets. I hope they don't expand it to ALL box sets, as the packaging is part of the product to me. Spiders shouldn't be used if it damages the packaging...

But what are you doin' buying DVD's at Wal-Mart anyway? ;)

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Tony, without getting into too large a rant about how evil WM is (something I will do at the drop of a hat these days), WM is often the only retail outlet people in rural areas have. They actually take great pride in this fact (not to mention the fact that their entire strategy is to move into rural areas and run all the other stores out of business, making themselves your only option at the retail level), and are quite predatory in their business behaviors. I'm hoping that with nearly everyone and their grandmother having access to the internet these days that WMs hold in some areas will be weakened, but they just keep coming up with new ways to monopolize rural commerce.

The WMs in my immediate area haven't started using the "Box Huggers" (nice term Frank!) yet, but I'd expect it any day now. Thankfully, I haven't bought a DVD at WM in a long time, and if they keep this up, then I probably won't in the future either. At this rate, they'll be using Master locks and chains to keep DVDs tied to the shelf in no time.

Also, completely unrelated, I've noticed that WM continues to order about 75-25 in favor of Pan and Scan when it comes to DVDs, and by the Thursday following a major DVD release (as has been the case with "The Matrix Reloaded" and the Indy box set), all they have left are about 95 percent of their pan and scan discs and no widescreen copies. You'd think that corporate ordering would notice this and wise up, but this is WM we're talking about here. I try to have as little to do with them and their squiggley-dancing as humanly possible.

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
The only reason I went there was because they had the cheapest price for the NOES set. It was $70 which is very cheap. I'll just go to Circuit City where they have it for $100 and have them price match it.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I think my Wal-Mart here has that.

This one DVD ah bought from there has them thar black bars at the top and bottom of da scrain. I think that round silver lookin thang is broken.

Ah want my picture filled up.

Sorry; couldn't resist.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Lucky for me, there is a Best Buy opening up about a block from our local Wal-Mart who, evil as they are, consistently have the best price in the area on new releases (I buy catalog titles online). They're also open at midnight, for when I get impatient for that new release :D

I always feel dirty after I've gone there. I feel like such a snob, but damn, it definitely feels like the Lowest Common Denominator of society walks the aisles there.

This one DVD ah bought from there has them thar black bars at the top and bottom of da scrain.

I think that round silver lookin thang is broken.
LOL. We should all return DVDs to Wal-Mart, complaining that there's a hole in the middle of it. "I want the WHOLE DISC!"

Joshua_W

Second Unit
The Best Buys near me use spider-wraps on their expensive DVD boxes like TNG. And yes, they DO cut into the boxes. Which insures that, not only will the boxed sets be same from shoplifting, but they call be secure in the knowledge that I will NEVER buy any set damaged by those secuity devices.

My Wal-Mart has started putting their boxed sets in a glass case in the area with the VCRs. Which is about forty feet from the DVD section. So, unless you walk to the back of the store and happen to find said case, you wouldn't even know they had boxed sets like Battlestar Galactica, Buffy, 24, and Alias. Brilliant, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks