Does the ultimate DVR/DVDR exist?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Graham Martin, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Graham Martin

Graham Martin Stunt Coordinator

I have been trolling the forums and searching online for my solution to my ultimate DVR solution to go with my DirecTV system and home theater, but I have not found it yet. I was wondering if anyone has seen a system that ahs the features I am looking for. Here are my desired features:

1. DVR Functionality

2. Multiple tuners for multi-channel recording. (I think this is only available for Satelite-based DVRs. Is this still true?)

3. DVDR Functionality

4. Hard drive with DVDR for good editing functionality

5. Wireless internet connectivity so DVR can download schedule info without phone line or ethernet cable

6. Remote access to DVR through internet so I can alter recording schedule

I don't think I can get items 1 and 2 on the same box with items 3 and 4. Correct? Also, I am not sure if items 5 and 6 exist on any DVR box yet.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Graham

2. Graham Martin

I am guessing by the silence, that my drem box does not exist. If anyone is aware of something like this, please let me know!

Thanks,

Graham Martin

3. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

With TiVo you can 1,3,5,6. You can trade 3 for 2 if you subscribe to DirecTV.

There is plans to add 2 next year, but w/o 3.

I like the DirecTiVo combined with TyTool to author edited DVDs on my computer - but that does require cracking the box to 'update' the software.

4. Graham Martin

Many thanks. I think I will grab the basic $99 DirecTivo box for now since it has dual tuner capability. I will look into new options over the next 12 months!