Does the SVS PCi sound better than the CS series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Jun 8, 2002.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I just can't make up my mind if I should go with 20-39PCi or the 20-39CS c/w amp??

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi David,

The PCi is definitely measureably different from the CS/S700. How the differences translate into subjective interpretations from each individual,room,and system...is tough to predict.I don't think most folks would hear a CS/S700 one day and a PCi a week later and think they sounded different.But I could pick a CS/S700 from a PCi without hesitation if I could A/B them quickly with the source material of my choice.

The primary advantages for the PCi is the subsonic filtering and a tiny bit of EQing tweaks we have done to optimize the FR(freq-response) slightly.

If you have no plans to add a second passive unit, I would stick with the PCi...the current content(320+ watts of BASH,very nice 12" driver,4" flared port,tough as nails enclosure...)is hard to beat from a cost/performance standpoint.

TV

3. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tom. The the new PC-Plus looks like an option also.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Hi David,

The one snag with the PC+ is we won't be able to ship them until August now. We just got the bad news that we have been *bumped down* the priority list a little by the BASH amp supplier. This didn't make us happy(of course), but it is understandable when we are ordering by the 100s...and the guys "cutting in front of us in line" might be ordering in the 1000s and 10,000s.

TV

5. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

hey tom, i just picked up a used 25-31CS (original driver) and am powering it with a PE 250W plate amp. i'm curious what EQ/subsonic filter you guys have applied to the PCi models - i may try to emulate it on my plate amp. would i want to do anything different if i had it retuned to 22Hz?
    btw - i LOVE the sub. now i know what TRUE bass is like [​IMG]

6. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

In an average sized H/T scenario, what is the advantage of the PC+ over the PCi? Will 500 watts instead of 320 (hope those numbers are right or someone will slam me), make a discernable difference? More wattage always gives cleaner lows, but isn't 320 already overpowering the sub?

7. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

The differences between the PC+ and PCi is not just the amp. The porting and driver have also been changed. I'm sure Tom or Ron can elaborate on this.
    And the numbers are 525 and 320 [​IMG]

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Steve;
    My guess is, the PC+ subs will have deeper, cleaner bass extensions than the PCis, thanks to the better driver. In addition, you'll also get a sub that can play louder. This is definitely a big plus if you place the sub in a large room.

9. Tom Vodhanel

Hi Mike,
    The EQ specifics are proprietary, as is our t/s from now on. I have made the mistake in the past of pretty much detailing every aspect of any model we have when asked. I can't get into specifics...but let's just say it has been brought to my attention from an independent third party that someone who was asking me questions a while back...wasn't just *shooting the breeze* with me like I thought [​IMG]
    Not a big deal in this case regardless. I would run the subwoofer sans any EQing...and do some in room measurements with the sub in your system. Then dial in the EQ to match the sub to your system and room(and personal tastes). You'll be much better off doing this than following some generic EQ spec anyway.
    I would have the subsonic filter kicking in right under the tuning point too. One of those $99 250 PE amps with a $329 25-31cs really makes a potent little

10. Tom Vodhanel

Hi guys,

The PC+ will be the powered version of the CS+. With the dB12 driver, three flared 3" ports, user definable tuning points,and a cool 525(ish) watt BASH amp. And at $699 for the 25-31PC+ size...it should make some waves in the

11. Phil de Bruin

Phil de Bruin Auditioning

"If you have no plans to add a second passive unit, I would
    stick with the PCi..."

I have a 20-39PCi on order... depending on the result, I may buy a second unit. Two questions:

- Should I have gone for the CS in the first place?

- How well matched would adding a 20-39PC+ to my already existing 20-39PCi ?

12. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

thanks tom, i understand the competition is cut throat. at the risk of sounding like somebody trying to jack your design, i am curious if the EQ is the same across the PCi line or if you've adjusted it for the different FR of each sub? Seems like that would be ideal, but would require a decent amount of extra work at the production volume you guys put out.
    i'll fiddle around with it one of these days when i get a chance and then make a decision on retuning and or adjusting the eq. if i do come up with the room response, would you be able to make a recommendation on what to set the EQ/HPF?
    so far i'm happy with it as is with no boost and no HPF. i don't think i can play it loud enough to bottom it out without getting evicted anyway, so it may not be a big deal [​IMG]