What's new

Does the sub have to match? (1 Viewer)

Marc Bodin

Grip
Hi there, I am new to the home theater game, I have spent most of my time focusing on car audio. Basically, I just like fabrication and really good sound, whether it be mobile or not.

I have been told that all speakers in a 5.1 setup should be the same make and model for best results. I understand why this is important for satellites, but does it apply to the sub as well?

I would like to make my own system, and was thinking of a kit possibly, but for a sub I would like to use a JL Audio or Image Dynamics 12" or 15".

In a kit should you use the subwoofer they suggest, or is this one area where we are free to play? Do you have to do some type of level matching with the satellites and the sub?

Also, I have looked at the Audax home theater kit. Can you suggest some other HT kits to look at?

Thanks

Marc

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
In a kit should you use the subwoofer they suggest, or is this one area where we are free to play? Do you have to do some type of level matching with the satellites and the sub?
You should stick with the driver suggested in a kit. The enclosure has been designed around the driver's t/s parameters, so, by inserting a driver with different parameters, the box wont "match" the driver.

One side note. Subs are the easiest to design and build yourself. You can download all sorts of shareware that calculate enclosures for you. Just plug in the driver specs and it will calculate a box for you.

Good luck

Marc Bodin

Grip
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have stated that I would be designing the sub enclosure myself. I am assuming that the design included in a kit will be matched to the satellites for output, and this would be ideal for dolby recordings, but may not produce the output level I am looking for with music.

I have been told that while listening to cd's through the 5.1 system, bass is somewhat lacking compared to a standard stereo setup. Is this true?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks