Does the Sony 51" RPHDTV has picture memorys for each input??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by kurt_fire, Jul 3, 2004.

1. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

I have this TV KDP-51WS550 and have tried to set up the picture so that each input has it's own specific picture memory but I can't seem to find out how to do it. Like I want my Xbox input to be slightly brighter than my DVD player's input.

BTW, why in the Hell did Sony make the picture adjustments slider only little ticks (maybe 60 of them) instead of using numbers?? Like I really want to count tons of little ticks everytime I want to set my reset my picture settings for each input.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It won't save different settings for each input. It will save different picture settings for each picture mode. calibrate X-Box under Standard or Movie, DVD player under Pro, etc.

I use 2 dvd players that require very different brightness settings, so I store one set of calibrations under Pro for the Zenith and another under Movie for the Panasonic. I find the Panny settings work well with all sources except the Zenith in a dimly lit room. I've set another calibration under Standard with higher contrast for daytime viewing.

A lot of sets that let you store input-specific settings will only allow you one set of non-default adjustments per input, which means you're stuck with calibrating for only one roomlight situation.

3. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

ok cool, but i heard the "pro" setting is the only mode where it turns off VSM (or something like that). Is their a way to turn this off of the other pre-set settting??

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'm pretty sure that the 550 series allows you to adjust or turn off VSM in the user menu. A thorough read of your ownner's manual will probably reveal how to do it.

In any case, factory default for Movie is the lowest of the 3 levels of VSM.

If you can't find VSM adjustment in the user menu it can be done in the service menu, change UVML to 0. It will be at 0 for Pro, 1 for Movie, 2 for Standard, and 3 for Vivid. It can be adjusted in each pic mode and I think also for each input, don't remember for sure.

For cable and iffy satellite channels a level of 1 or 2 can actually help the pq, so don't turn it completely off in all pic modes.