Does the size of a sub matter for music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby T, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Would a 10 be better for music because it would be tighter and faster? Or would it matter which brand of sub instead of size?

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

No, the size of the driver doesn't make one better or worse for music. It depends on the specs of the driver and the alignment(type of enclosure)used for that driver.

Check the DIY section or get a book on speaker design(like the "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook")for what to look for. Usually a sub that has a lower Group Delay is considered "faster & tighter" although even that can be misleading in some circumstances. For example, GD can be very high in a ported sub, but if it is tuned low enough the high GD is shifted out of the frequencies that are commonly heard in most music.

DJ

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

In fact, a larger subwoofer would probably sound better for music. Sealed subwoofers can be described by their "Q" factor which is a measure of driver damping. The lower the Q, the more "overdamped" the driver is. This causes a slower rolloff and hence better transient response (less group delay). To get a lower Q, you need a larger box. With vented subwoofers, the larger models are usually tuned lower, pushing the high group delay down into the

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. I just learned a lot more about subs from your responses. Do you know which subs are better for music?

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Alot of people here feel like the HSU-VTF2 is good for music along with the Adire Rava. Both of those are pretty expensive I believe. You can always go with the fan favorite SVS too.

Hope this helps.

PS. Bobby, I'm originally from Louisville, however I go to college here in Auburn, AL. You might want to demo some subs at Ovation Audio on Shelbyville Rd.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'll be heading there next week for one of their one day sales.