does the rear center do anything?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Duke, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

I'm moving to a 6.1 receiver. But, why do I want a rear center channel? What does it do?

This may be a newbie question, but I have done a lot of searches and received no response.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The Rear center speaker helps to "anchor" the "appropriate" sounds in the rear surround field towards the center. If you have 6.1 capability with the new receiver, you might as well hook up that rear center speaker to take advantage of a more submersive all-around sound field.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

YES!

I went from a 5.1 to a 6.1 system. See the above post. In addition...

The rear channel fills a gap in the 5.1 soundfield you don't even know you have until it isn't there. Pans around the back of the room are a lot more seemless. Overall, the soundfield is a lot more cohesive. You are more envelopped by movies soundtracks. Etc, etc, etc...

4. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

It depends on your room. I have no space for a rear center channel since my couch is on the back wall. It didn't make a difference for my setup.

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

What kind of speaker do people here use for the rear center? A similar speaker to your left & right rears, or a center channel speaker?

6. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I have noticed that one of the two drivers of a real center channel speaker are passive. I have a center channel at the rear spot and I think it sounds great, however it does drive me crazy knowing that one of the drivers is passive.

When I go to 7.1 I will place bookshelves back there and further away from the sitting area which should enhance the effect.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Phil, could you elaborate on what you mean by "passive" drivers?

8. derek

derek Second Unit

See my faq for more info. A bit outdated but just what you need.

9. Jon Duke

Thanks guys for clarifying this topic for me.

I've got the RM6600 sat/sub package, and I need to decide whether to go with a center channel or another satellite. But, I want to figure out if it is really worth it to have a center channel in that spot or if it would be better to place a matching satellite back there...

10. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Jon:

Having played with many configurations over the last year and a half. I'd rec. using dipoles in the rear...splitting the rear signal to both speakers. Two reasons

1) Most of what I have found that is sent to the rear is ambient effects.

2) You are set up for the next step, which is 7.1

This is what works best in my set-up.....a pair of dipoles (Axiom QS-8) 7 ft up and two feet (or slightly less) from the sides of the walls.

Good Luck
    Ron

11. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Patrick,

There was a thread about this recently. After reading the input I went to my center channel speaker and one driver is "muffled". I actually have both the Klipsch RC-7 and RC-3 and they both do the same thing. The input from others with other brands indicated the same thing.

I don't know why, but it just is. In another thread I read where someone converted a KLF-10 speaker into a center channel and noticed drastic improvements with audio.

Thats the best I can give you.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

13. Jon Duke

14. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I use a normal "center" speaker for my rear center. But the idea of 1 or even 2 dipoles might be a better idea. (I went 6.1 over a year ago, and without much info, I just mirror imaged the "front" of my system to the back.) "People" say that I should have a problem with a direct radiator for the rear center being too localizeable, but I haven't really found that to be the case.
    I use bipolars for the surrounds which does give me a little more diffuseness back there in general than direct radiators, but probably not as much as dipoles.
    My sofa (futon) is set out 1/3 of the distance from my back wall.
    I have heard that people with sofas up against the back wall, that sometimes putting the rear center *up* in the corner created by the back wall and the ceiling and pointing it into the center of the room, can give an acceptable effect. Might look kind fo strange though... [​IMG]

16. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Kevin,

I have my rear channel almost next to us. My couch and love seat form a 90 degree angle and the speaker is almost in between. When I upgrade to 7.1 I will move the speakers further away from the listener as I have about 5 feet behind this setup.

I think we are hearing sounds out of this speaker but certainly no real imaging.

17. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

My goal in using dipoles (which are the same as my side surrounds) was to create a rear sound stage. Since the dipoles allow for more of a "fudge factor" in sound they worked best for my set up....listening position is abut four feet from the back wall. My listening experience has been that the rear center receives more ambient effects from the soundtrack and an occasional localized effect...the dipoles were better suited for the rear center. Do planes that appear on the screen coming from behind overhead sound as such...yes! I've tried scene specific localized effects and the dipoles do a fine job of recreating the sense of placement.

I should note that I am using the Lex. MC-1's logic 7 for decoding soundtracks. I have in the past used a couple of decoders that use the Smart technology (6.1).

Take Care
    Ron