Does the placement of the central seaker matter (height)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pablo Abularach, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

May 27, 2002
    I'm custom building my stand for everything for my HT, but I read somewhere that the central sepaker should be placed in the center as close as you can of the TV.

Because of the design of my TV stand, the central speaker will be about 1/2 meter up, do you think I could lose something because of the placement, or maybe it could sound better if I place it closer to the TV.

The bottom of TV is located at 65 cm from the ground and the top is at 130 cm, and where I want to place the central speaker between 170 cm to 200 cm from the ground.

Thanks for any comments,
    Pblo Abularach
  2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Feb 11, 1999
    In a perfect world the tweeters of the front speaker array should all be at the same height, however, that is rarely realizable in most installations.

I have an RPTV so my center speaker is about 18-20" above my mains. It does cause a timberal mismatch when running pink noise, even though the center is angled down.

In other set-ups I have had the center below the TV and mains. Sonically, it worked out better.

If you have the room, try putting the center on a stand in front and below the TV. Of course, that will also require you to move your mains farther into the room, too, if you want to keep all three equidistant to the listening position.

Good Luck,

3. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

May 10, 2001
    You'll get response anomalies by putting your center speaker inside anything. You'll also get early reflections off the ceiling.

If you have the space, having the speaker on a floor stand a few feet in front of the TV will get you the best performance.
  4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jun 1, 2002
    Agreed with the rest of the posters. I did an experiment with my center directing it downward.

Because the Paradgim Reference CC sits on top of a Sony XBR, the heighth is above the listening area and does not "smack" you right in the face when there is output. There are times when the dialogue is not clean and clear.

I "rigged" some wood wedges underneath to tilt it downward and it was/is much, much cleaner and clearer.

I don't have the ability to place the center on a floor stand, but am trying to find something to change the angle downward. Finding something that will make it stable and aesthetically pleasing has been fruitless at this point.

I probably rambled here, but YES, the placement and heighth of the central speaker has a huge impact.
  5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    Many of us that are into front projection face this dilemma with centre placement. I have mine on a 12" stand so I have had to angle it upward to achieve the desired results.