What's new

Does the Panny RP56 play VCD/SVCDs? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_F

Agent
I've pretty much decided on that player except people in the below thread say that it doesn't play VCD/SVCDs. Could someone tell me whether that is true or not?
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=29218
Also, the listed specs on the Panasonic site are kind of vague. They say the RP56 has DTS and Dolby Digital outputs but doesn't say whether it has a decoder. Will I have to buy an external decoder? If so, what decoder do you guys recommend?

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
Patrick, it doesn't decode DTS or DD in player. The decoders are usually found in the home theater reciever. Do you have one of these yet? Which one?

The outputs are digital outs (coaxial and toslink) that go to the reciever where the receiver will decode them and send the signals to the appropriate speakers. Most prefer to not use the decoders in the player because then you need at least 6 audio cables running from the outputs on the back of the player to the reciever (one for each of the channels). This requires that your reciever has '5.1 inputs' which nowadays is more almost rare in low end receivers.

Patrick_F

Agent
I have a Bose system for my HT system. I'll have to go check the specs on it. If it doesn't include decoding then I guess I'll have to buy a decoder. Unless the RP91 has a decoder?

Same kevp as in the Hardware-Pacers forum?

RichardH

Supporting Actor
No, the 56 does not have decoders built in.

If your Bose system is one of those with a small silver unit plus bass cube and satellites, then you're not going to be able to get surround sound in the real sense. Depending on what your model has, it might not even work if you had a DVD player with a built-in decoder.

If you want real DD and DTS, you might need to start thinking about getting a real surround receiver; there are some decent affordable models from Kenwood, Onkyo and Denon.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
my RP91 plays VCDs so i assume the RP56 does too. you have to also make sure you burn them correctly, otherwise no player will be able to decode them.

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
Patrick,
Yes, it's the same kevp :D
If you are wanting digital surround sound of anykind, you'll need to think about getting a home theater reciever. I don't know from experience, but the bose system will try to 'enhance' (i use the word loosely) the sound by processing it in some manner. This may affect or even override any kind of DD or DTS signal being sent to it, even if it is first decoded in the player and send to the sound system. This is one of the reasons Bose isn't the preferred brand of choice on the board.
I know this isn't probably what you wanted to hear... but if you get the DVD player now, you could enjoy watching movies, and worry about the true digital surround sound in future upgrades.

Patrick_F

Agent
My Bose system seems to be the Lifestyle® 30 Series II Home Theater System: Link Removed
It mentions Digital 5.1 decoding but doesn't specify exactly what that means. I'll have to find my manual.

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
I checked and it appears that your system DOES decode Dolby Digital encoded signals, so the vast majority of DVDs' you would be able to enjoy. Very few DVD's are DTS only, so you would just have to avoid these titles. Even then there are usually (if not always) DD versions of the movie as well, so it's a moot issue for right now, as you are trying to get up and going into home theater.
I think that you could be quite happy with the Panny RP56. Go get it from sears or somewhere, and if you don't like it, then take it back... :)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick_F:

I just bought the RP56 yesterday, and have it connected via AR shielded component cables to a brand new Toshiba 27" plain 'ol interlaced TV. The picture is stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks