Does the Original Long THX Theatrical Introduction Exist on a DVD or Laserdisc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy W, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

I think the THX logo commonly included on THX mastered DVDs and laserdiscs (LDs) is about half as long as the introduction used in movie theaters some years ago (approximately 15 seconds on DVDs and LDs versus approximately 25 seconds for the introduction used in theaters). If I remember correctly, the long THX theatrical introduction shows the statement “The audience is listening.”
    Several years ago, I was shown a laserdisc that had the long THX introduction on it, but I cannot remember the name of the disc or who made it. I think it was a demo LD that may have been included with the purchase of a specific LD player, perhaps a Pioneer LD player.
    Can anyone confirm if the long THX theatrical introduction exists on any DVD or LD? If so, can you please tell me the name of the disc and where I might be able to find a copy?
    Thank you in advance for any replies.

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The only place I could think of would be the THX Wow! demo disc you reference. These are generally available on eBay but get pretty expensive at around US$70ish.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

There were three different THX trailers used during the THX laserdisc time.The THX TEX trailer was used for/in the release of TOY STORY.
    The most common one,is the same one that we get now in DVD.The another THX trailer,is the MAROON trailer(or did i name it wrongly).The MAROON trailer is very rare in theatrical presentation.
    The common seen THX trailer are the same one that we currently seen with most DVD release,the THX TEX trailer and the THX TEX MOO CAN trailer.There is another one,but is very rare,the SIMPSONS THX trailer.

4. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

5. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all very much for your speedy and informative replies. You have been most helpful. A couple of these THX Wow LDs are available on eBay now, unsealed as new.
    I thought my question would be so obscure that I would get no replies. But this is a wonderful forum. It is so gratifying that so many knowledgeable members take their time to share proactively their knowledge with no expectation of any gain. Thank you all again.

6. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Isn't it on the DVD that comes with the Book "DVD
    Demystified Second Edition"? Look for it at your
    local bookstore or library.