Does the Onkyo 797 suffer from the same clicking and audio dropouts that the 696 has?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I have heard so many people complaining about their clicking and audio dropouts in their Onkyo 696's and Marantz X200 models. Does the Onkyo 797 also have the clicking problem, and the clipping problem with LFE?

2. Luuk Vos

Luuk Vos Auditioning

I have a 797 and I am not familiar with the first problem. Before I had a 838 which was flawless too.

The LFE maximum (line) output level of the 797 can be set, could this be what you are looking for?

Luuk

3. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Kyle,
    As i mentioned in your other thread, the ONLY time my 696 has an audible click is when it changes from DPLII to DD or DTS. It does NOT happen during a movie.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

The clicking noise is most likely a relay in the receiver that is set when the autosensing mechanism senses a new digital signal - like switching between DD, DTS, DPL2 or stereo.

Also whenever I put my receiver into DIRECT mode I hear the click of the relay - since it is shutting off all DSP processing. (I have the Integra 6.2 - which is very similiar to the 696).

This click shouldn't be a concern at all. And, in fact, I remember reading somewhere on another board that a circuit or relay of this type that makes that clicking noise indicates,usually, that the circuit within the receiver or player is generally high quality.

This clicking noise does not emanate from the speakers at all, just from the receiver unit. And as I stated it is the receiver changing modes (i.e., DD, DTS, DPL2, etc.)

5. Dan A

Dan A Agent

just noticed the 797 is only $770 at ecost.