What's new

Does the Nickelback - Silver Side Up CD use QSound? (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
I've been listening to this disc a lot lately and the soundstaging on this disc is amazing. In fact, it may actually be too amazing. :)
Does anyone know if this disc uses QSound or an equivalent? I see no mention of it in the liner notes or on the QSound site.
I'm getting staging way outside my speakers and even behind me with this disc. They must have done some interesting phase tricks during mixing.
Anyway, if anyone likes their style, this is a superb disc.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I have to agree with you here. The sound is amazing on this disc. Just the first 10 seconds of track 7 Money Bought sound incredible, when the drums kick in the depth of the soundstage really shines..
Nickelbacks popularity seems to be 50/50 here in Canada. I love the "oldschool" rock sound they have. Lots of drums and guitars solos.
They are a complete contrast of, say, System of a Down (who I also like).
PS. If you get a chance to see Nickelback live, do it. The don't have all the theatrics of Tool, or the jokes of Blink 182, but they put on one hell of a LOUD straight up ROCK concert.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I get the same impression from this disk on my Paradigm's as you do. However, I don't think they are using Q sound or any derevation. Just a super good recording I guess.

Good to have you back on the board. Been a while.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I get the same impression from this disk on my Paradigm's as you do. However, I don't think they are using Q sound or any derevation. Just a super good recording I guess.
I am using Paradigm M7v2/PW2200 and the imaging, soundstage and bass are outstanding.

After reading this thread the first time, I decided to email the band/recording artist through their website to see if they used any enhancements to create the cd. Hopefully they respond soon. If they did use and enhancer of some sort, be it Q-sound, more bands sould get into it. To me, although it might not be the original studio recording, it does make the music sound very impressive.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I saw a feature on them on the CBS Sunday Morning show a few weeks ago. I was interested because Alison Krauss is the producer of the CD and she was also interviewed for the feature.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Marty,

I saw a feature on them on the CBS Sunday Morning show a few weeks ago. I was interested because Alison Krauss is the producer of the CD and she was also interviewed for the feature.
Are you talking about Nickelcreek? I know AK produced their latest cd.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, notice that this thread was started in February. Ryan just resurrected it yesterday (9/9/02).

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Yes, I did ressurect this thread. I have never spent much time in the Music area simply because there never seems to be threads pertaining to louder style rock. Whether it be mainstream stuff like Nickelback or OLP, or harder stuff like Disturbed, Saliva, or P.O.D.

So i did a search and this one came up. Figured, might as well bring the topic back up.

BTW, the cd itself did not use any special equaliztion methods for the mix. I guess it was just a really good mix by the mixing co-ordinator.

The thing I have found though is that Nickelback seems to like to uses spacious sounds or seems to have a better understanding of the soundfield than other bands. Either way it sounds freakin amazing.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If you get a chance to see Nickelback live, do it. The don't have all the theatrics of Tool, or the jokes of Blink 182, but they put on one hell of a LOUD straight up ROCK concert.
awesome! They're coming into town soon, with Default :) It'd be awesome to go!
But i'd love to see blink as well.. i love immature piss-fart-dick jokes :D
I agree, the nickelback cD sounds awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks