Does the Monstercable Powerbar work?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Eric Torres, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Eric Torres

Eric Torres Auditioning

I've been told that the Monstercable Powerbar, stage 2, can significantly improve my basic cable picture quality. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I believe this product takes the approach that incorporates emi/rfi filtration between either each outlet or each pair of outlets. The efficacy of such a product would depend upon...

1) Your AC line having sufficient noise in it that it causes your TV to 'misbehave'.

2) Equipment that you've plugged in is somewhow generating sufficient noise back through the power cord that in turn causes your TV to 'misbehave'.

3) Your TV is unable to deal with a certain amount of noise. That may actually means that you've got an electronic problem.

Many companies sell solutions to problems and many people buy the products even though they don't have any problems. Much like asking does Tylenol work? Well, yes, but I don't have any aches.

If you're considering this type of technology, you may find a product made by Belkin called an "Isolator" and sold in an A/V configuration (meaning it's got inputs for cable and all that) to be more cost effective (price around $100).

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey chu -

i'm shocked. you didn't totally debunk this product! [​IMG] [​IMG]

do you beleive there is some validity to these, assuming the factors you listed above?

the reason i'm asking is i can get this thing pretty darn cheap (bb discount) and was considering it.

i'm using a relatively cheap pc surge protector right now. heck, even that thing cost me around 40 bucks.

4. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Yes these work, is there cheaper products, of course, but with monster you do get a company that provides stellar service.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I listed a few 'ifs' there didn't I?[​IMG]

It's pretty much a given that most of us need some sort of central place to hook our equipment into. Further, just about anything that you use is going to have some sort of surge protection and EMI/RFI filtering incorporated into the contstruction. For a few more cents, okay maybe a couple of bucks, and a little bit of design work to make it look nicer, a manufacturer can charge a bit more for the added value as opposed to a run of the mill power strip. That's fine.

The incorporation of outlets that are EMI/RFI isolated from each other covers situations such as in my first reply above. The question to my mind, is what sort of equipment must one have in order for this particular device or engineering methodology to be of possible benefit?

It's strictly my opinion that if one is using devices such as digital amps or products that use some kind of switching power supplies then perhaps high frequency crap is getting into the lines. Maybe in this case simply snapping a ferrite bead around the power cord is a cheap fix. Another possible device might be a DVD type player that incorporates upsampling.

Again, it's only my opinion, but products that also have the European CE stamp on the back would be less likely to cause problems as it's my understanding that the European EMI/RFI protocols are more stringent than the US ones.

All this is predicated on your display device having some sort of propensity to AC born interference.

Now my only experience with this type of product was a similar Belkin that I'd picked up from OfficeMax. Now my method of testing is a bit peculiar as I've got cords that split into two and also a home-made make-before-break switch. The switch allows me to seamlessly make a new connection without ever disturbing the power. Personally I couldn't see any difference between that unit and another one that I use.

So does the technology have any merit? Probably for most of us the answer is no. However, it's not bad thinking and so long as the price isn't too great and seeing as how you need to get some sort of device to hook all your stuff into, I think the idea bears some consideration. Further, the surge protection isn't a terrible idea.

Now FWIW, the Belkin A/V Isolator can be bought refurbised from Belkin for $60 and that's not too bad...I guess [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...as usual i agree with ya chu.

i can get that power-bar (i think it's this one). for significantly less than than retail.

plus i'm getting quite a bit of new gear (rptv, receiver, dvd, etc...) so i'm thinking 60 bucks is a worthwhile investment.

thx for your thoughts...

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Sounds like party time (whatcha getting for a TV?) but you know, that refurb Belkin's got almost 3x the joules...BTW, if you read that link you provided it seems to suggest that it's possible for a fridge to share an outlet with one's HT. Now, unless I'm mistaken, NEC code prohibits fridges from sharing outlets.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, that monster website just kills me. i'm sure you've noticed they don't even bother to give the gauge of their speaker wire.

anyway, i'm forced to get all my stuff from bb, since i get the discount. i'm waffling between the 55 & 65 mits rptv, i'm getting the top-of-the-line yammie receiver, probably the pioneer dvd player (mainly for sacd/dvd-a playback), plus a klipsch sub and finally, possibly some new speakers (i still like my polks...).

yes sir, it'll be party-time....check your mail-box for my invite!

i didn't think my fridge outlet specifically had it's own breaker, but i'm not sure. if i get bored i'll take a look at my fuse box...