What's new

Does the longer version of SOUTH PACIFIC still exist? (2 Viewers)

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
According to several source books, the deluxe South Pacific was only mono.
It ahd exactly the same music as the regular album.

I do have a stereo copy of the deluxe British version which is full stereo.

Concerning Gonna Wash That Man right Oughta my Hair =- it would be tough to restore, as the uncut version never made it even to the preview print showings (test showings).

Gonna Wash is more than uncut on the soundtrack album. A short dance section was added only for the album and was no in the raw sessions or filmed.

Still missing from the roadshow dvd is the Bali Hai reprise sung by Joe cable, on the way tohis first time on the island. The Commentary track says it was never in the film. Don't believe it.
It should be found and put back in I know Mitzi now in her 90s would loved to see full version of Gonna Wash.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
The blu ray is not quite complete. There was a reprise of Bali Hai sung by John Kerr and chorus.
Indeed its not I have the book'The Tale of South Pacific' a book tie in published I guess at about the time the film was released it shows Joe cable escaping from the hospital with his bomber jacket on,meeting Emile and Nellie before he takes it off and Nellie asks him why he is out of the hospital, there is the beginning in the europian cut of the children sing ing 'dites-moi' before the appearance of Nellie & Emile, Emile singing' lonliness of evening' while think back and in his day dream you see them meeting at the officer club dance, the whole version of 'I'm gonna wash that man' all that was filmed. Does all that still exist? if so it should all be put back in for Mitzi Gaynor's sake if no one else's she is now in her 90s but I want to see it too.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
those pics were also in an early edition of the SOUTH PACIFIC soundtrack that may have been the original release (or maybe the british release? not sure).
I just saw it today at a used book/record store.
It is a gatefold, and the cover is the same pic of Mitzi and Rosanno, but it has a big flowery lei around them.
The back cover is blue and has her doing "wash that man".
The notes by Rodgers and Hammerstein that are on the back cover of the non gatefold soundtrack, are spread over many pages of this "deluxe" edition.
I was going to buy it, but they wanted a ton of money for it.
I have that one

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
I don't think MARY MARTIN was in her 20's when she palyed NELLIE on BROADWAY !!!!! Talk about a stretch. At least Doris and Judy had the pipes for the music !!!!!!!! Doris or Judy could have pulled off Nellie Forbush, Judy would have only been in her early 30s.
Mary Martin was in her 40s when the film was made but the company would have had both her and Ezio Pinza in the film had Pinza lived.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Wish I had gotten in on this "South Pacific" thread four years ago. Very interesting reading. I have purchased the recently released dvd version which contains some of the deleted footage. Haven't a chance to watch it yet but I understand that "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" was not restored.

Interestingly, if you have the hardcover program from the original release of "South Pacific" there is a copy of a memo from Rodgers and Hammerstein to Joshua Logan saying something along the lines of "the cuts to "Wash That Man" are just what was needed - these scenes play much better now" - so it looks like they were in favor of the cuts.

I don't care what anyone says - I like the use of the filters. I hated them before because on the old laserdisc releases the players could never handle the intensity of the colors and they looked awful but now they look great.

Getting back to one of the discussions in this thread, I'd like to know if there's anyone out there that knows more about the deluxe edition of the original soundtrack album (LOCD-2000). I recently stumbled upon a soundtrack collectors website where two people claim to have copies of a STEREO version of this album (LSOD-2000). I wrote them both e-mails. One responded at a very high level (not much information) and the other never responded. I'd really like to know if this album ever existed in stereo. It's difficult for me to believe that it wasn't released in stereo because this was the height of the stereo era and "South Pacific" was one of the biggest selling soundtracks at the time for just that reason.
yes Richard Rodgers was very much involved with cutting 'Wash that man' out of the film he didn't like the film of SP wasn't on the set OH was Rodgers was ill during the filming with depression.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
According to several source books, the deluxe South Pacific was only mono.
It ahd exactly the same music as the regular album.

I do have a stereo copy of the deluxe British version which is full stereo.

Concerning Gonna Wash That Man right Oughta my Hair =- it would be tough to restore, as the uncut version never made it even to the preview print showings (test showings).

Gonna Wash is more than uncut on the soundtrack album. A short dance section was added only for the album and was no in the raw sessions or filmed.

Still missing from the roadshow dvd is the Bali Hai reprise sung by Joe cable, on the way tohis first time on the island. The Commentary track says it was never in the film. Don't believe it.
The Bali Hai reprise was indeed in the film I have seen and heard footage from a preview trailer as is part of the 'wash that man' sequence that was cut this is in a preview trailer without sound.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
The Bali Hai reprise was indeed in the film I have seen and heard footage from a preview trailer as is part of the 'wash that man' sequence that was cut this is in a preview trailer without sound.
I thought the dance sequence of 'Wash that man' on the film soundtrack was indeed in the original film isn't it where Nellie and the Nurses were splashing around in the pool, which was indeed filmed but cut?

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
RCA has *never* put out a decent sounding CD. I bought the $100 laserdisc box set of Sound of Music just to get a CD of the soundtrack mastered by someone OTHER than RCA.

It does indeed sound better than RCA's latest attempt at a remaster (which sounds somewhat better than their earlier horrid-sounding CD soundtrack).

In 1994, when the film was mastered for laser disc from the shortened Todd-AO negative, an effort was made to tone down some of the more heavy-handed color-filtered shots.

At the time of the first network broadcast of the film on ABC in about 1969, they announced a disclaimer in reference to the color filters--"There is nothing wrong with your TV sets color adjustments--the movie really LOOKS that way!"

That was the first time I had ever seen the film and was dreadfully disappointed that "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" was so severely truncated--in addition to being bewildered at Joshua Logan's almost completely STATIC musical staging.

One of the films best virtues has always been Alfred Newman's typically superb musical scoring--far superior to that of the recent television remake.
The full version of Wash That Man should be restored one of the best songs in the score.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
The book says "I'm gonna wash that man out of my hair" was filmed but Oscar Hammerstien didn't like it. So Logan reshot it another way and Oscar still didn't like it so out it went.
I've heard it was Richard Rodgers decision as he never liked the film of 'South Pacific' anyway, I think it works even in the heavy edited version that is seen and I love the song but the full version should be released

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
This was a great show, that missed the mark in it's film version. Is Mitzi Gaynor, bad not really, is Rossano Brazzi bad not really, John Kerr is stiff as all get out and the rest of the cast is adequate. However, it should have been a stellar film. The lousy filters give it a bizarre feel, like there is a colored fog in many scenes. The cast had little to no chemistry, there in, lies the crucial factor. Both leads were mismatched and had zero chemistry and it came across. I have never understood the reasoning for putting leads into roles that are dubbed. There was a wealth of talent available in Hollywood. Why couldn't they have used people in leads that could actually sing ? Mitzi Gaynor looks the part and so does Brazzi neither were great singers, and that is what is missing in my opinion. I like the film I don't love it, where as I love the other RH Musicals. Shirley Jones would have been great to have been cast, but she had done two RH filmed musicals. So I get why she maybe was not considered. Louis Jordan would have been a great Emile, he has the whole package, handsome, suave, debonaire, and he sings..... A huge missed opportunity. Just saying.........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks