1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does the longer version of SOUTH PACIFIC still exist?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Darren Gross, Feb 14, 2003.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Thanks for the info.

2. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

How about a dubbed Steve McQueen as Cable ?

I agree that Doris Day and Judy Garland were much too old for Nellie, I can't think of a late 50's star who would have been right. Maybe Kim Novack dubbed ? She was sweet and innocent in Picnic and Pal Joey

3. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe

4. aprets

aprets Auditioning

Andrew
    Wish I had gotten in on this "South Pacific" thread four years ago. Very interesting reading. I have purchased the recently released dvd version which contains some of the deleted footage. Haven't a chance to watch it yet but I understand that "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" was not restored.

Interestingly, if you have the hardcover program from the original release of "South Pacific" there is a copy of a memo from Rodgers and Hammerstein to Joshua Logan saying something along the lines of "the cuts to "Wash That Man" are just what was needed - these scenes play much better now" - so it looks like they were in favor of the cuts.

I don't care what anyone says - I like the use of the filters. I hated them before because on the old laserdisc releases the players could never handle the intensity of the colors and they looked awful but now they look great.

Getting back to one of the discussions in this thread, I'd like to know if there's anyone out there that knows more about the deluxe edition of the original soundtrack album (LOCD-2000). I recently stumbled upon a soundtrack collectors website where two people claim to have copies of a STEREO version of this album (LSOD-2000). I wrote them both e-mails. One responded at a very high level (not much information) and the other never responded. I'd really like to know if this album ever existed in stereo. It's difficult for me to believe that it wasn't released in stereo because this was the height of the stereo era and "South Pacific" was one of the biggest selling soundtracks at the time for just that reason.

5. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    Yes, the album was released in stereo -- I still have it. My father got it in 1959 when he got our first stereo. (All of my father's stereo records were from 1959 -- he lost interest in things quickly.)

6. John Skoda

John Skoda Stunt Coordinator

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

8. John Skoda

John Skoda Stunt Coordinator

No, the LP content is exactly the same as the standard version. Only difference is the deluxe cover with bound-in booklet.

9. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

According to several source books, the deluxe South Pacific was only mono.
    It ahd exactly the same music as the regular album.

I do have a stereo copy of the deluxe British version which is full stereo.

Concerning Gonna Wash That Man right Oughta my Hair =- it would be tough to restore, as the uncut version never made it even to the preview print showings (test showings).

Gonna Wash is more than uncut on the soundtrack album. A short dance section was added only for the album and was no in the raw sessions or filmed.

Still missing from the roadshow dvd is the Bali Hai reprise sung by Joe cable, on the way tohis first time on the island. The Commentary track says it was never in the film. Don't believe it.

10. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

There is not much that is on the commentary tracks that you should believe. I think this DVD has the most incompetent "expert" tracks that I have ever heard.A prize should be awarded to one Richard Barrios for managing not only to get most facts wrong but for actively hating the film in question. How Fox came to hire him and where he came from is anyone's guess.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I would have gladly sacrificed that Barrios "commentary" (to limit myself to HTF-acceptable terminology) for a music-only track. Sigh, guess there's always the Hi-Def version.

12. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned
    BANNED

Adrian Turner
    I have just watched the Roadshow version again - it's a favourite of mine - and, wanting to check a few facts, I went to the IMDB and guess what: they think it was shot in Spain!

13. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark

14. Joe Lugoff

Joe

15. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric

16. Claude S

Claude S Stunt Coordinator

SOUTH PACIFIC was shot in my home State of Hawaii on the north shore of the island of Kauai. Bali Hai in the distance was not real but only a matt painting.

-Claude S

17. edelweissflower

edelweissflower Auditioning

STEPHEN COWLEY

18. edelweissflower

STEPHEN COWLEY
    I heard the opposite that it was Richard Rodgers who apparently never liked the film version of 'South Pacific' and wanted the children's song 'Dites-Moi' cut and 'I'm Gonna Wash That Man' cut down even although he wasn't there at the filming as he was ill in New York.

19. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I was asked by Fox along time ago, to go looking for the missing footage.
    There was a large square silver containter - in there was dubbing tests with John Kerr singing for himself. also there was the missing footage of Gonna Wash that Man.
    South Pacific was cut just one month into its verysuccesful roadshow run. Why cut a film that's already doing well.
    Ego- Rodgers was not there on the shoot. I found a memo from the R and H org but the memo listing suggested cuts is only from Richard Rodgers. We are still missing the Bali Hai reprise on the boat, sung by Joe Cable. This can be heard, only, on an early trailer.

holtge, B-ROLL and edelweissflower like this.
  20. edelweissflower

STEPHEN COWLEY
    very interesting info thanks does that mean do you think that they could restore 'I'm Gonna Wash That Man' I twitted Mitzi Gaynor on the 60th Anniversary of the Film's release this year saying how great it would be to see her singing the full version again and she liked my twitter message so she herself would love to see that again its obvious that it was all filmed as per the soundtrack recording and in fact I have a poster of part of the missing footage of Nellie and all the nurses playing in the pool. For me the song is one of the best in the score and for it to be cut I think was a great mistake making the character of Nellie less than she should be. A lot of people have said to me that it was cut and stayed cut because it showed Emile at one point spying on all the nurses washing which they thought was unacceptable and creepy, I see no reason for that
    I have heard the ' Bali Hai' reprise in one of the trailers and I think one part of the 'I'm Gonna Wash That Man' missing footage is in another trailer I have seen on TCM. thanks again for the info.