What's new

Does the DTV standard include 24fps video? (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
If this is true, I'm wondering if any DVD and TV manufacturers have plans to include this video mode in their products in the near future so that we can do without the whole 3:2 pulldown nonesense.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs to Hellen Keller.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Yes, it does, but you definitely don't want to watch 24fps on your TV! The flicker would be maddening. 50Hz PAL is bad enough.
Ideally, you'd frame triple to 72fps, but no TVs that I know of will handle this refresh rate.
And before you ask why the flicker in the theater isn't maddening, that's because each frame is held for nearly 1/24th of a second. You can't do that on a CRT.

BarryO

Auditioning
"And before you ask why the flicker in the theater isn't maddening, that's because each frame is held for nearly 1/24th of a second. You can't do that on a CRT."
The shutters in theater projectors actually flash each frame at the screen 3 times, for an effective frame rate of 72fps. This is fast enough to eliminate flicker.

Len S

Auditioning
I'm pretty sure that Loewe includes 3:2 pulldown on several of their HDTV-ready sets. I'm almost positive that they include it on their new 38" direct-view 16:9 HDTV-ready set. (see www.ecoustics.com for the 38" Loewe Aconda). Loewe image quality is superb.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The shutters in theater projectors actually flash each frame at the screen 3 times
I thought it was twice. I know I can see a hint of flicker at our local cineplexes.
I expect as HDTV progresses, and more people get the idea of playing their PC games on the big screen, manufacturers will start including higher refresh rates in HD monitors. It may be a few years, though.
There are several FPTV products out there that support this. When used with a HTPC, you can run the refresh rate up (some as high as 120Hz, thus being a perfect multiple for 24fps/30fps/60fps- all sources covered).
However, AFAIK, all current MPEG decoders output a 60Hz signal, thus REQUIRING 3:2 pulldown (independent of the display device) for 24fps sources. Also, the majority of currently available progressive scan players (read all the mainstream brands) output a 60Hz progressive signal, so TV with 72Hz refresh wouldn't be any good now, anyway.
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks