Does the driver's size matter?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by William_Gravem, Sep 2, 2004.

1. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

I've heard several things regarding driver size that I just wanted to check on.

1) that if the driver's not large enough, it cannot accurately reproduce human voice. Is this true?

2) Also, I'm interested in Axiom M22ti's and have heard Paradigm Monitor 5's and Studio 40's may be somewhat comparable. But, I can't help but notice that Paradigm drivers are 6.5 inches or 7 inches (monitor 5 and studio 40 respectively) and the Axiom speakers are only 5.25 inches... does this matter?

please refrain from any driver-envy jokes. [​IMG]

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Why don’t we work on that font size first? [​IMG]

5.25 and 6.5 drivers are all perfectly suitable for reproducing the human voice. The main difference is that that latter will also give a bit better bass response.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Driver size does not matter to the point that it should be a deciding factor. There are a large number of factors that will determine it's capability of reproducing human voice - most notably the driver's physical specs. I've heard plenty of great speakers that use 5 1/4 drivers (including the ones I own). The crossover design and cabinet tuning are also very significant. Tiny drivers (3" and smaller) tend to have difficulty rendering lower midrange, which may sound poor with deeper voices. The reality is, you have to listen to each speaker to find out what it can do, if vocals will be what you are most concerned with.

The Axioms do a great job with vocals, IMO.