Does the Denon AVR-4802 have on-screen volume display?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Wayne Reibold

Wayne Reibold Stunt Coordinator

bump

2. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

I just brought one home last weekend and the answer is "YES".
    Bob

3. Wayne Reibold

Does it work when outputting a component video signal to your display device?

4. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3802 and it doesn't seem to have an onscreen volume display. Does anybody know otherwise?

5. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

The on screen display (volume and other displays) only works through the S-Video or composite video outputs. If an input signal is put to both the S-Video and the composite at the same time it will output only to the S-video output.
    Bob

6. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I have the monitor (TV) connected to my 3802 through the composite output (temporary) and I don't get an onscreen volume display. Bob, were you responding to my post?

7. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

---Is it still advisable to use "Monitor Out 2" on the 4802, to avoid video interference?---
    If you want to bypass the OSD you can use the monitor 2 outs. I have not noticed any signal degradation however with monitor 1 outs on my VPL-VW10HT on a 110" screen.
    Here is what the manual says about the OSD:
    NOTES:
    • The on-screen display signals are not output from the video signal MONITOR OUT-2 (yellow) or S-Video signal MONITOR OUT-2 jacks.
    • The on-screen display signals are not output from the color difference (component) video signal MONITOR OUT jacks.
    • For 4 above, the on-screen display signals are output to the VIDEO MONITOR OUT-1 video signal output jack (yellow) if the monitor TV is
    not connected to the S-video MONITOR OUT-1 video signal output jack.
    You can download the manual in PDF form from Denon's web site if interested.
    Bob

8. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

9. Wayne Reibold

Patrick: you're right! I keep my Denon outputting component video about 90% of the time so volume control on s-video/composite video doesn't buy me much of anything. I heard the reason is they want to keep the signal path for component video as pure as possible. To my knowledge no a/v receivers output menus and such over component video.