What's new

Does the Denon AVR-4802 have on-screen volume display? (1 Viewer)

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 3802 and it doesn't seem to have an onscreen volume display. Does anybody know otherwise?

Bob McKenny

Agent
The on screen display (volume and other displays) only works through the S-Video or composite video outputs. If an input signal is put to both the S-Video and the composite at the same time it will output only to the S-video output.
Bob

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I have the monitor (TV) connected to my 3802 through the composite output (temporary) and I don't get an onscreen volume display. Bob, were you responding to my post?

Bob McKenny

Agent
---Is it still advisable to use "Monitor Out 2" on the 4802, to avoid video interference?---
If you want to bypass the OSD you can use the monitor 2 outs. I have not noticed any signal degradation however with monitor 1 outs on my VPL-VW10HT on a 110" screen.
Here is what the manual says about the OSD:
NOTES:
• The on-screen display signals are not output from the video signal MONITOR OUT-2 (yellow) or S-Video signal MONITOR OUT-2 jacks.
• The on-screen display signals are not output from the color difference (component) video signal MONITOR OUT jacks.
• For 4 above, the on-screen display signals are output to the VIDEO MONITOR OUT-1 video signal output jack (yellow) if the monitor TV is
not connected to the S-video MONITOR OUT-1 video signal output jack.
You can download the manual in PDF form from Denon's web site if interested.
Bob

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
So how different is this than previous Denon models? I only use the S-Video Monitor Out 1 for the system setup. This was for the 5700, the 4800, the 3802 and the 4802. I prefer not having the volume displayed on my monitor...although I understand wanting to have a choice in the matter.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Patrick G

Second Unit
I can't believe the on-screen volume display isn't output via the component monitor out jacks. Until they fix this, the on-screen volume display feature is useless to me. This pisses me off.

Wayne Reibold

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick: you're right! I keep my Denon outputting component video about 90% of the time so volume control on s-video/composite video doesn't buy me much of anything. I heard the reason is they want to keep the signal path for component video as pure as possible. To my knowledge no a/v receivers output menus and such over component video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks