What's new

Does the Denon 3910 have a Macroblocking problem (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Yes, it has the MB problem, albeit signifigantly improved over the 5900.

Good calibration helps to minimize it even further. This is typical Faroudja chip issue and not Denon's fault per se.

matt-f

Second Unit
I heard they fixed in a firmware update.

Oh yes, I also noticed you posted this on the HTS too.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Did they in fact fix it 100 percent with firmware? I feel like I've read some mixed reviews on that, but nothing real authoritative.

If so, then great! :)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i have a denon 5900 which was manufactured in feb. 2004. i have never seen one instances of macroblocking when sending video via dvi/hdmi my sony projector. can anybody name me some of the definitely "macroblocking" dvds. i would like to actually see macroblocking firsthand.

kevin t

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
He means specifically for the 5900. Kevin, I know that if you go into www.hometheaterhifi.com and dig around a bit, you're going to find some things. God knows if you do a search for Denon or macroblocking in AVS's DVD forums, you'd better sit back and be ready to do plenty of reading.

Feb. 2004. That's a late enough date on that 5900 that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were the beneficiary of some of the tricks that the 3910 benefits from.

John Cain

Second Unit
I owned a 5900 and the macroblocking, along with other problems made me return it after a few weeks.

The 3910 has no Macroblocking, as reported by Kris Deering, except on rare settings and scenes, so for all practical purposes, it has no macroblocking. In real world movies I have never seen any, and the 5900 was terrible, on the same movies.

The 3910 has BY FAR the best picture I have ever seen from a DVD player, using HDMI output.

Try it out, and see if it works well for you.

-- John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks