Does the deinterlacer matter if I already have one?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnnyKretentiv, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

I have a DVD player with a Faraodja chip (Denon 1815). That means I really shouldn't worry about the deinterlacer in the projector as long as it can be turned off. Right????

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

One may be better than the other, so try each combination and pick which looks best.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Simply selecting "interlaced" from your DVD player "turns off" or rather skips the player's built in de-interlacer. Feeding in progressive scan video "turns off" or rather skips the projector's (or TV's) de-interlacer. Thus only one de-interlacer will be (should be; is allowed to be) in the video signal path.

Since your DVD player has the Faroudja DCDI de-interlacer, I believe you are going to have a hard time finding fault with it. You could refer to Stacy Spears' Shootout (Google for that web page) and buy a variety of movie DVD's that represent de-interlacer torture tests, but I wouldn't bother.

Quality of video cables is more critical with progressive scan from the DVD player. If you do not notice a deficiency when viewing the "200 TVL resolution" pattern of the AVIA DVD, you don't have to worry about that.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm