What's new

Does the Dayton really go to 25hz? (1 Viewer)

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Hey ya'll. I've had my Dayton 100 watt sub from partsexpress for probably 6 to 7 months now and I've been very pleased with it in my apt (although we'll see how it does in the house that I'm moving to in two weeks). My question is does anyone know if this amp truly reproduces fundamental down to 25hz? I'm pretty ignorant of testing and all that and I don't even know if this is truly something you or I can test but I am curious. I've been an electric bass player for about 12 years and there are very few (if any) bass amplification rigs with a 10" sub that will give a true 30.9hz fundamental (low B on a 5-string bass), much less 25. I personally plug into a 500watt SWR head that feeds an Eden cabinet that has 4 10" subs and it is not rated down to 25hz...not that any 4 string bassist would ever NEED one rated down to 25 hz as the low E-string is only 41.2hz but anyway...I'm going off on a tangent here...does the Dayton go as low as it claims?

brad cook

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I think in the $600 review at HTS you can find the answer to that. I believe it can...but at what SPL? Great for its size and designed application...but not my idea of a true HT Sub. But I have a home too..if I was living in an Apartment I could think differently.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Where's the review you're talking about? I'm new here. I was testing out some of the good sub demos listed on the SVSubs page today and was reminded of just how impressive this little sub is for the money. The aquarium taps on Finding Nemo sound pretty darn good and I really feel that bass and the pressure in my ears. I hope it continues to sound good after I move into my house because the living area is definitely bigger ther than it is in my apt. I may have to add a second one. Perhaps some day I'll have an SVSub or something like it but for now I'm really enjoying my little Dayton.

Anyone else have any solid info on true performance of this guy?

brad cook

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I have the dayton. The only test is has not really passed in my room is the Matrix Revolutions "machine voice" at the end. I was running it fairly loud and it distorted to the point that I could not really understand what the thing was saying. Other than that, I'm impressed for both music and movies. After proper calibration it blends in nicely with my other speakers.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Howdy. I used to be a bass player as well and had an Eden 2x10 combo (great amp). Anyway, I think the main thing is that all of these items were designed for a specific purpose. The bass rigs were designed by engineers who undoubtedly knew the frequency range of a bass guitar. I'm sure that without too much trouble they could have extended the range of the cabs, but there is no real reason to. They Dayton, on the other hand, was designed for HT, so special care was taken to produce the needed frequencies. Now, I have yet to here the Dayton, nor have I seen data on its response, but I thought I'd share my opinion on why there's an apparent discrepency between the two products.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I've done a few tests with mine. The sub's located in the dormer of my 10'x12' room, is about 12' away from the listening position, and behind the TV/equipment. It has very strong output at 30Hz and starts to roll off below that. There's still usable output around 25Hz in my room though (ie. you can still feel the bass pressure in your ears). I've driven it to near deafening volumes at or around 30Hz and it doesn't break a sweat. It's a great performer, especially for the price.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
HTS $600 Comparo

Unfortunately, no SVS could be added as they are playing catch up still in filling the always increasing orders! :D

and my bad....no Dayton in that review...mixed it up with Rocket....a very fine sealed 10" unit.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

My Hsu STF-2 (10" sub) cuts out at 20Hz, according
to the AVIA test tones without losing any volume.
I had also posted (as a question) that at 30Hz,
there is a 20db increase, then it drops back down
to normal, all this per my Radio Shack digital
SPL meter.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Cam,

the 20db increase would make me think that it's tuned to 30hz, no? Or perhaps the room resonates at 30Hz.

brad cook

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Hey Brad,

I am TOTALLY ignorant when it comes to this stuff,
even so far as to say I dont know what you mean
when you say "tuned" to 30Hz.
Dont know about the room resonating either....:D

There are other frequencies that the db reading
drops ~5db as it goes through the test, & then
comes right back up, as I try to set it to 75db.

All this is from a listening distance of ~14ft.
But it holds the 75db all the way to 20Hz.

EDIT: Also, I downloaded the RS SPL meter correction
factors.....what exactly does this mean?

JimIroc

Agent
I would guess the 30hz bump is due to room size. At low frequencies, the size of your room plays a HUGE roll in the sound output of your sub. Moving the sub to another location may yield a reduction in the 30hz bump.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I just measured the Dayton's frequency response in my room at my listening position (plotted on a graph). Let me tell you, my room is definately not made for a flat frequency response, and the sub isn't EQ'd. It's all over the place.

Speaker output levels are calibrated with MCACC (Pioneer VSX-D912K), volume level increased to read 75dB at 100Hz (-40 on receiver). Receiver's crossover set to lowest (100Hz). Here's the info with non-corrected values:

- Flat response from 100Hz to 88Hz
- Below 88Hz there's a dip to 75Hz at around -7dB
- 70Hz is back up at -4dB
- dips back down to -6.5dB at 62Hz
- goes back up to 0dB at 50Hz
- rises to 8dB at 40Hz (highest response, obviously the room's peak resonant frequency)
- down to 2dB at 34Hz
- up to 3dB at 32Hz
- huge falloff begins after 30Hz: 30Hz is at 2.5dB, 0dB is around 28Hz, 26Hz is -5dB, 24Hz is -10dB, and 22Hz is -14dB

Correction values: http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/rsmeter.html

Significant changes are 40Hz is now 10.5dB, 30Hz is around 6dB, 26Hz is around 0dB, 20Hz is around -11dB or so. Quite a mess, but you can see there's still good output around 25Hz so it's certainly not an untruthful rating :) What I need is a better-shaped room or some EQ.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Cam, the correction factors take into account the fact that the rat shack SPL meter has trouble accurately reading lower frequencies. Picture a bell curve and think of the lower frequencies being on the tail of the curve.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Gret-ST,

Thanks for the measurements! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

brad cook

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks