Does the BRAND of DirecTV receiver matter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blair Lee, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

Now that we have three TVs in the house, I need to buy at least one more DTV receiver to keep everyone happy. When I first signed up for DirecTV, I bought the higher-end RCA unit with Dolby 5.1 output with bigger TV sets in mind. However, we all know that DTV just doesn't look that great on large TV sets.

Are any DTV receivers better than others when it comes to decoding the satellite signal? I was thinking about just buying the cheapest decoder I can find with S-video for my new Panny, and using the RCA unit for the other two. The RCA unit has RF remote functionality, which makes it very attractive as a multi-TV receiver.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Blair,

For non-HD boxes I don't think there's much difference between brands as far as picture quality, just in menu design, features, and user interface.

HD boxes vary widely in their handling of upconversion of non-HD material, stretch modes, and performance of thier OTA digital tuning.

3. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

Thanks for the info. So it looks like the $70 Samsung unit will serve me just as well as any other non-HD DTV receiver. You just saved me some DVD money. [​IMG]

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

You can save another $20 by ordering from DirecTV for $49. It'll probably be a Hughes unit, which I actually prefer over my Sony stb.

Jan