Does the Bass get shifted to the satellites if a subwoofer isn't attached?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Darren Gross, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I've just bought a Denon 1906 surround receiver and Energy satellite speakers but will have to wait a month or so to get the subwoofer.

If I play 5.1 mixes through the system, will the low frequency sounds disappear or would the receiver detect the missing speaker and channel the bass sounds to the satellites?

If not, would it be advisable to hook an available stereo speaker to the subwoofer out on the receiver?

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It depends. If you tell your system you have no sub and set your speakers to large, then yes, the bass will be sent to the individual speakers. If your front speakers have decent bass, you can set them to large and the others to small and the bass will be redirected to the mains.

You won't be able to hook up a speaker on the sub pre-out from the receiver unless it has it's own power. That is a signal output only, not intended to drive a speaker.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

The receiver won't detect what speakers are connected to it. YOU tell it what's connected to it when YOU set it up.

If you're concerned about bass being rerouted to front speakers that are too small if you set your receiver up with NO SUB, then you can "trick" it into thinking you have a sub and set the speakers up as SMALL, but you'll be missing quite a bit of low-end info, both regular and LFE, if you do this.

What Energy satellites are they?

4. Darren Gross

Thanks for the feedback, guys...

The Energy satellites are Take 5s...

5. Darren Gross

Do I risk damaging the satellite speakers at all by running them without a subwoofer?

I live in an apartment, so the voloume will be fairly moderate.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Like Scott mentioned, you can still set them to small on the receiver with sub=yes (even though you don't have one yet) and that will protect them from trying to reproduce really low frequencies. Set the crossover as low as possible until you get the sub.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Well, if they were like most small speakers, I'd say yes, of course, you could possibly damage them with a full-range LFE-containing signal. Most speakers will simply ignore the frequencies they can't reproduce at all, though. So at moderate volumes most small speakers are OK to be run as LARGE with NO SUB.

And according to Energy's site, if I read it correctly, these speakers have a built in high-pass filter at 90Hz, so they'll be protected from really low frequencies.

So you can set them up with NO SUB and as LARGE, but I'd still utilize some common sense regarding the volume. Please don't blow your speakers while you're waiting for a sub.

8. Darren Gross

Thanks for all the info, guys! Very helpful stuff and much appreciated.