What's new

Does the B&K resample the sound from the 6 channel external input? (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I've been playing with my new AVR507 receiver from B&K. Fantastic machine. Anyhow, I have noticed that when I use the external 6 channel inputs for SACD it is able to utilize prologic 2, Neo6, Stereo (this on a multichannel SACD), and THX processing.

I have never known a receiver (with the exception of the AVR 5803) that can resample the hi-resolution audio and perform tricks on it.

So the question is: does the B&K AVR507 convert the analog signal from the external input into digital form and, if so, will it perform bass management on the sound before it's output to the speakers?

Why isn't B&K talking about this at all. Nowhere in the literature or online does it mention that the receiver is digitally processing the external input (At least I assume so).

Any ideas?

-Dave

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Why isn't B&K talking about this at all. Nowhere in the literature or online does it mention that the receiver is digitally processing the external input
Because they are B&K. With all joking aside, I find this one of the best features of the AVM-20. And I think you will too with the Ref 50. All this talk about time alignment and bass managment with different players goes away. Its all done by the processor. I believe like the AVM20 the Ref 50 has 96/24 ADC so when you get the 6 channels in from DVDA or SACD you will not be loosing that much at all, but what you gain with all the eq'ing, time alignment, and bass managment it makes it very sweet sounding.

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot seem to select anything more than seven speakers. Any ideas?

Also the manual seems to indicate that direct pass through is only availible through the 2 channel rca inputs and not the 6 channel direct input.

-Dave

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
you can have direct input of any 2 channel analog input by selecting stereo then direct. The multy channel input is select in the setup menu and as long as the surround processing is not changed on that setup it will be direct all channels passed thru. I don't know how B&K applies processing to the multy channel input. They do make it PCM but do they only take the L&R and throw away the rest or do they combine channels like L+SL+RL+C+S = L and R+SR+RR+C+S = R then apply the processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks