What's new

Does the "average Joe".. (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
see the chroma/flicker bugs in dvd playback? I haven't watched many dvd's, but the ones that I have watched were on ps2 hooked up to a large projection tv. I didn't notice any problems during playback. Surely the dvd players are better than a game console...........aren't they????????

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The chroma bug is most noticeable on computer generated subject matter from DVD, such as "A Bug's Life". This is because here it is more likely that adjacent scan lines have very different coloration.
You usually don't see the chroma bug while playing games because the game video provides color for every scan lines. When playing a DVD, the game console uses the same MPEG decoder that a regular DVD player would use so whether the chroma bug shows up would be the same on average compared with a regular DVD player.
On DVD video every two scan lines share the same color. For movies, the color for scan lines 1 and 2 comes out with the odd field and gets applied to scan lines 1 and 3. (The color for lines 3 and 4 comes out with the even field and is applied to scan lines 2 and 4.) This produces the chroma bug. Additional sophistication is needed to bring out both the color for scan lines 1 and 2 and the color for scan lines 3 and 4 for both even and odd fields so each line can get the correct color. This is almost never done for non-progressive players and often not done for progressive players.
More:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidbug2.htm

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Brad:
Personally, I believe that maybe all of 0.1% of J6P's can see the Chroma Bug. I am making this statement based on the following: Half of my friends/family (all J6P's) can barely recognize the additional video resolution offered by a DVD!
Don't you just love it?
And no, it's not due to my display. :)
Rich B.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I am trying to purchase a dvd player, & everytime I think I have found one that I want to purchase, I read about some kind of bug. I am interested in the rp56 (panasonic) or the jvc sa75, but I don't want to purchase a "bad" unit. I want this to be the centerpiece of my home theater.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Whichever one you choose, do it due to your own satisfaction and not for some nay-sayer. For instance, I have owned 3 dvd players that have the reported chroma bug and I have yet to see it. My friends all have bought the same brand dvd players and no one has ever mentioned a problem either. BTW: my dvd player is hooked to a 55" rptv calibrated with VE.

I had looked at the Panny 56 dvd but went with a Tosh 4700 because of coax audio preference. Good luck and go for it.........

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Brad:

The Panasonic 56 will make you very happy - seems to be the progressive dvd player to get (for the $) for at least the past 6-9 months. Maybe a new record?

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks